cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF5770 Multifunction Printer - Can't print in Remote Desktop

abcd1234
Apprentice

I called canon today and was told by tech support that you cannot install mf5770 on server 2008 r2 edition.  Further, canon's driver downloads do support server 2008 r2 x64 editions.

I had installed the driver on my old server (server 2008) and had printer redirection working with an xp pro workstation.

Now we have upgraded to server 2008 R2 edition and are using win 7 pro workstations.

We have mf5770 at 2 locations: the server location (and the driver is not installed to the server, just the workstation) and the remote office.

I have installed the printer driver on the remote computer at the remote office and it works in that environment but if I use remote desktop to connect to the server so that I can use a special application, I can not print to that printer that is local at the remote computer.  For some reason it does not redirect.

While I am in remote desktop connection to the server, I tried to add a printer and i selected local printer, then i selected the port it is located on, in this case it showed the networked ip of the mf5770 at the remote office as a port selection, so I selected it.  Next it asked me for the driver and I installed the proper driver.  Next I tried to print a test page....it showed that a page was trying to print but it never does and eventually I had to cancel the print job.

I do not understand why the printer is not getting the print job.  It looked like I had setup the printer on the server remotely.  But it does not print to the local printer at the remote location.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has canon done away with just a network based driver for their printers?  It looks like there is just one inf file that works as the driver and thats it.  At the time, when I had the old server 2008 and xp pro workstations, I just downloaded the network driver for the mf5770 and installed it remotely to the server session and was able to redirect printing to the local printer at the remote location.

0 REPLIES 0
click here to view the gallery
Announcements