cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone clearly summarize the different printer series -- MG, MX, TS, TR?

AP1
Contributor

What are the key differences between the four series? How does one decide which series is best for them?

In Canon's Inkjet Multifunction line of printers, I see there are currently four different series -- MG, MX, TS, TR. I didn't find a page on their website that describes each series and helps people decide between them. I don't want to play detective for hours on their website to try and figure it out.

I have an MG6220 and I cannot unclog the standard black print nozzle. I've tried all kinds of things. Plus, I'm getting the eliptical nozzle test pattern with the large PBGK ink. It may be time to buy a new printer. Grr.

I hope someone can help me figure out how to decide to stay with the MG series or try a different series.

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi AP1,

The TS series is the updated version of the MG model printers. The TR models are replacing the MX series printers. The TR models have a automatic document feeder on the top that allows for multiple page scans and copies.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

These responses clearly did not answer the original question and I have the same issue. The question lists 4 series of Canon ink jet and I would like to know the differences between them. I don't care if TR models are replacing MX models. The responder never addressed the other 2 series! Do these different series use different technologies? Or features? They certainly have different prices.

hcaroselli - Thank you for posting your comments. I agree with you, the reply from ArthurJ on 10/28/2021 was not a complete answer. Since I had an MG series, the comment that the TS replaced the MG gave me enough information.

However, I agree we need a complete answer that summarizes all four series and describes why the TS and TR replaced the MG and MX.

Canon support -- Can you please provide more details about the TS, TR, MG and MX printers? I also see iX and iP printers. It's very confusing. I'd greatly appreciate your help.

The MX922 and several other models have the automatic top loader as well that’s nothing new, if they are replacing what’s new about them the previous models don’t have and most importantly why are they still listed as current models if they are being replaced?

texnic
Apprentice

TL;DR: I found thse two pages attempting to summarise the differences between series: 

The second page is especially useful, though it could benefit from a summary table. I am not sure how long the information there will stay actual.

Long read

I believe, this topic will live forever: it is clearly not Canon's intention to simplify shoppers' lives with their approach to series designation. To be honest, I think it has been like that with all leading manufacturers. It seems to me that printer series are a marketing/sales tool rather than something helpful for consumers. The reason behind it is the lifecycle of each model. At any given point, printer engineers are trying to make things faster/cheaper/more reliable/more user-friendly. At regular intervals, printer manufacturers need to release new models, for all major consumer groups. So at regular intervals, marketing people come to engineers and ask: "What do you have new?" Equipped with that information, they look at demand (how much consumers are likely to be willing to pay for what) and at competitors, and invision new models. They then tell engineers, what functions should be combined, and a new printer is born. What can happen is that an engineer was trying to solve an issue in an MGxxx printer, but the result is so good that it woud undermine the sales of TR printers. So a new TR printer appears on the market, that is practically identical, feature-wise, to an old MG printer, but is, say, faster, and is called an TR. If the speed is not your priority, you may not look at TR printeres, and miss an, effectively, new MG printer. (Series names are taken randomly here, as I am still not sure what the difference between MG and TR is.)

Canon's "help me choose" tool doesn't make life any easier, since they guide you the way they want you to use their catalogue (to maximize their profit), not the way you want to be helped. It is very easy to help all of us (both home and business users), once and forever. Printers have a finite set of features, new ones appearing very rarely. Canon could maintain an overview table with all those features of all current and old models, such that a shopper could simply use filters to find a compromise printer. They could even agree with Epson and HP to help you choose. However, this table would tell you quite a bit about the internals of their marketing, including how they are trying to make you pay more than really needed or steal you from another supplier. So instead of showing you a table with 200 features, including such critical aspects as the expected lifetime of a model and upfront vs. running costs, they show you a "comparison" table containing only 20 rows, which include nothing about quality, price and real-world performance. On top of that, they rename important features with something obscure: instead of "expected lifetime of 1 million prints" or "50 ppm" or "expensive printer with low-cost consumables" or "the head will likely clog if idle for more than a week" they write "recommended for high print volumes".

It's an obvious business niche, but unfortunately, I haven't yet found a source of reviews that would maintain exactly that. For a third party, it would be expensive to create it, as not only would they need to buy and test (using very expensive requipment or a lot of human hours) each model, but they would also need to perform lifetime testing, which is expensive to automate (and which Canon engineers are already doing). https://www.rtings.com/ comes close but remains rather user unfriendly IMO. They also review a limited number of models.

I think the Canon website does a very good job. Rather than worrying about starting with a model number and figuring out what it means the site starts with 1. purpose (photo, home, home office, etc.) and then shows possibilities. You can select 2 or more to compare to see the specifics.

Shop Canon Printers | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John, I appreciate the fast response. 

I agree that a model number is not what one should start with, nobody cares really. But that the web site does a good job is precisely where we disagree: how on earth photo, home and home office use are different options? I use a printer at home, for printing photos, kids' homework, and work documents (text and technical drawings). Since it's an MFP, I also use it for my genealogy hobby (scanning old documents and photos), and the quality should be as high as possible. What should I choose—home, home office, photo? Besides, whether it's for home or work use, how does Canon know what it implies for me? A designer and an engineer have very different requirements. I would be happy if Canon's guide did what it does today, but more correctly. It should not imply what "home" or "office" means (without explaining it to me), but rather ask me what features are important for me. Until it does so, the only way to choose remains the printer series, if we know that MG is a low-end series (don't expect much, pay a lot for ink, but the printer is cheap) and TR has the fax functionality.

That's where our fabulous sales team shines! They know all the information and can help you parse the data so you get the unit that meets all your needs (and fits within your budget) - whether you buy it directly from us (we hope you do) or an Authorized Canon Dealer. Our friendly sales team can be reached by phone at 800-385-2155, Monday through Saturday, from 8am to 8pm (ET), excluding holidays. They're also available by chat (during those same hours) when you're on a product page on the site - the little red chat bubble will pop up. 

Hopefully that helps! 

hcaroselli
Contributor

John - Thanks for the information however your signature kind of looks like you work for Canon. If that's the case I don't blame you for defending them. I sort of agree with you that the model number may not be the place to start, but it can also be argued it is the best place to start. Many times I have gone to the website to try to find a printer and I end with a choice between an MG or TR (I just pulled those out of the air). This is the very problem that is so frustrating. The printers I end up with usually satisfy all or most of my criteria so then I wonder what is the difference between printer-A and printer-B. They have different prices so I know something is different. This is the crux of my concern. I can look at the website and see the features of any given printer, but when I get to the decision between A or B what I want to know is why do they have different prices? Do they use different technologies or is one more heavy-duty or what?! It looks like Mr. texnic are in the same boat and we need to look for different information sources because the Canon website is only giving us marketing data.

I just reread Mr. Texnic's entry and he is saying the same as I am saying only he is more eloquent. His points as spot on.

Announcements