cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Good luck with that. Most of us can't even get a reply to our emails or calls, let alone a refund.

DaveRickard
Apprentice

I have had a Cannon MP630 for several years and also bought a new print head.  I clean one while using the other. 2 Days ago the printer displayed the U052 and before that a B200 error code.  They seem to be the same.  Both say wrong print head fitted. It seems like Cannon are switching printers off to mak people buy new ones.  Dave Rickard

@macnicol wrote:

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

cfOH
Contributor

Has anyone had their print head fail within the unit's warranty period?

peterundle
Apprentice

I can add model MG5250 to the list. I guess I must have been lucky that it has taken 5 years to fail. I've cleaned the heads - both the detachable bit and the fixed bit, left for 5 hours - way more than 5 minutes - and still no luck. Guess it's a new printer then.

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Ok, let me put it this way. If any of the listed printers is able to receive or retrieve updates, it will go down. From what I have witnessed, standalone units that are not connected to wifi or a computer are not affected. I am currently keeping tabs on nine standalone canon printers that are on the list, they are still running. Five are at a school, two at a local print shop, one at a body shop and one at my neighbors house. Anyone else I have spoke to that had a listed printer connected to wifi or a computer, their printer is now dead.

Lamblin
Apprentice

From Australia, have had multiple Canon products in my lifetime which have served me well, but now, like the thousands before me, have just fallen foul of the dreaded U052 error with my MP610 printer !  WAS a great multifunctional printer only occasionally used for scanning and producing quality photos. Working one day,  failed on start-up the next !  Tried the web based solutions to fix to no avail. Absolutely disgusting is Canon's corporate non-direction in fixing or coming to the party in resolving this issue. Don't you realise that keeping your head in the sand will result in the loss of many once loyal customers like myself who now will buy other brands.  Hope you get slammed in future sales and the current Class action ......

alexpinca
Contributor

A lawsuit was filed, it is now in the settlement stage. Google the situation and you should be able to get contact info.   This system is now allowing me to provide the info. 

maidmarion
Apprentice
me too Mp640 FRUSTRATED

Andrewsilk
Apprentice

Bruce1
Apprentice

Please can anybody help? I've just spent $85 on replacing all my ink, no joy!!!

Announcements