cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

My original printer was PIXMA MG5320 and I'd had it for about 15 months.  They replaced it with PIXMA MG6420.  It is much noisier.  We do not print much, but for recent small jobs, it has printed well enough.

Canon replaced my U052'd MG5220 with a newer serial number MG5220. They also sent another paper tray after I discovered the replacement didn't come with one. Apparently you're supposed to keep the paper tray... doesn't make sense if folks are getting alternate replacement printers. 4 boxes received from Canon, plus post-paid return of the defective, and out-of-warranty MG5220. I for one am not interested in becoming a part of a class-action, Canon did right by me. Cheers.

Well, considder yourself a lucky hut then m5mj, the majority of us are still waiting for an answer and above all, a real solution

I have an MG 5520 and have the Wrong Printed Error problem and don't know what to do.  I live in Hawaii and am separating from my husband and moving back to California.  I need to print and scan rental applications for places to live back in California but I can't.  I have a friend that has a printer but it doesn't scan so I thought no problem, just because I can't print at least I can scan.  No.  I don't want to buy a new printer here at a higher price than on the mainland that I would then have to pay to ship.  So now I have to go to Office Max to pay for what I should be able to do on my "scanner".  By the way, there is nothing wrong with my printhead.

stanlum
Apprentice
U052 on my MG5220 unit. Still unresolved

It will never be resolved -- take it to the junk yard. More Canon trash on the heap.

Just wanted to remind everyone that a powerful on-line voice is customer reviews. This lets you share your information and experience with people at the time they’re contemplating their purchase decision. Amazon is by far the frontrunner for e-commerce and the Canon Pixma MX922 is Amazon’s bestselling printer.

In the reviews, you may post and find information that cannot be shared in this forum. If you agree with a review, you need to let the author (and others) know it was helpful. Feel free to share your own experience with others, too.

skicolorado, I do not understand the jist of your comment.  what i read on mcaxley's post was that Canon said not to mention third parties or you will be banned.  mcaxley mentioned the lawsuit against Canon so naturally Canon would not want others to read it..are you suggesting that consumers use Amazon to purchase Canon printers?

A good on-line review is a factual discussion of one’s experience with a product and the customer support that accompanies the product. I’m only suggesting that current printer customers freely share their experiences with future potential customers. It makes the message clearly heard (unedited) and makes it clear to future consumers what they may expect with a specific product, a product family, or manufacturer.

Reviews are something a manufacturer will watch closely, but that may not necessarily help you in getting your specific issue resolved. There is now information in the general media that will help with that – you just need to apply a little creativity in how you search it out.

In the meanwhile, its fair we demand more of Canon as to the specific nature of the E052 error, is a work-around in the works, or is there some other resolution path Canon can offer?

So far the only "resolution path" Canon have offered is one that will make them even more money, with no guarantee to solve the problem. They must have learned this from politicians.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.
Announcements