cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't canon update drivers for Mac OS?

whtw14
Contributor

I forgot that canon does not update drivers and updated to Sonoma 14.1.1 and there isn't a driver update yet. this is ridiculous and has me wanting to leave canon altogether. I use my canon to stream on my computer, streamyard and now i can't use it to stream and who knows when they will update. very frustrating

32 REPLIES 32

That was indeed unfortunate, and it can happen.  However, it is still very much in a company's best interest to continue to do early testing.  And file bugs with Apple as well during the pre-release time to ensure that when the OS is released to the public, they'll be a maximum chance of success for all.

Don't let one bad incident drive policy going forward.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Oh,  I'm not saying the dev team doesn't start the process while an OS is in beta. They just don't release anything until after the OS has been finalized. We have a massive product portfolio - they have to ensure everything works as it should! 

@rs-eos wrote:

That was indeed unfortunate, and it can happen.  However, it is still very much in a company's best interest to continue to do early testing.  And file bugs with Apple as well during the pre-release time to ensure that when the OS is released to the public, they'll be a maximum chance of success for all.

Don't let one bad incident drive policy going forward.

What Stephen described above is exactly what I was alluding to earlier.  You are forced back to square one.  It doesn’t matter how much R&D you do with a Beta release.  They will change it on you without notice.  Apple wil break the codebase multiple times per year.  

And just when you get caught up, they’ll release another update without notice that breaks everything all over again.  It’s ridiculous, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

siocone
Contributor

i don't know why you tell it is an apple thing ... alle the other tool and treiber works but only canon makes problems... or i get an email were i get the info that i need to whait for the update sice new treiber was there. Like my Mimaki Plotter for Illistrator ... scanner, microfon, video kart soundcard all work ... so an problem von apple i don't think so...

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Apple releases an OS update, which breaks apps and pre-existing codebase."

Yes they do and its a mess. I have no idea why Apple does this but the fact it happens is to any and all sorts of apps. It even affects peripherals like a printer. Whatever the root cause Apple needs to stop it. 

I don't use a Mac but KU does. They are all Mac and software that is necessary for the students stopped working with Sonoma. However some apps are unaffected. Makes it seem like something more than a license process.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

japierce
Apprentice

Found this on an Apple Support page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213969?cmdf=legacy+camera+mac+recovery "Starting in macOS Sonoma 14.1, only cameras and video output devices that use modern system extensions are supported on macOS. This modern software provides more secure and privacy conscious experience, including support for the camera privacy indicator — a green dot icon that displays in the menu bar while your camera is in use."

There is a work-around (in the support message), but I think I'll wait for Canon to update the driver. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"i don't know why you tell it is an apple thing ..."

Because it is, that's why! I can tell you right now it will happen again with the next Mac OS update.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  they'll be a maximum chance of success for all. Don't let one bad incident drive policy going forward."

It has to be more complicated than that. It happens to a lot of companies. Big software companies and smaller ones and it seems to happen on every OS update. Some minor and some not so minor. The first reason I don't buy a Mac computer is they cost to much. They are stupid expensive but the second reason is just because of this nonsense with their OS updates.

EB

siocone
Contributor

My problem is that Web utilities pro works in OSX 14.1.1, so the image is displayed, but the camera is not recognized in any other app... i.e. OBS, Skype, Whatspp, etc.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would suggest that anyone who doubts that this is an Apple issue should do a search of these forums for “Not Working [insert name of any Apple OS here]”

Apple has been breaking apps for years.  They do it to all camera manufacturers because Apple would much rather you buy your next camera from Apple.  In other words, an iPhone.  It is not in Apple’s best interest for the apps to function from Canon, Nikon, Sony and other camera makers 

DF897429-5F1E-437A-A6D0-A97A28F98080.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements