cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam utility not installing/doesn't work. (two issues)

dwe
Contributor

SO I downloaded the latest package and installed it on my podcast machine. (Running windows 10)  Nothing was working so I did some trouble shooting. Once I stopped the cannon eos link form running the camera connected however all the shows in OBS is the logo. As well as any other program I try to use.

Upon more reading, including the "how to register PDF" I discovered there is actually an app. But it never loads. So as an experiment I installed on a laptop (running windows 11) and upon clicking the program it opens. I don't need a camera even connected to open it. 

Now this is important...during install on the windows 11 machine it also installed two MC Visual studio packages. It does NOT do this on the windows 10 machine. SO I spent several hours uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling the MS VS stuff to see if it would trigger the Cannon installer to do it. Nothing. So I gave up.

Now - further testing.
1> Another windows 10 machine. My video editing machine. Installs fine, but no other items install and same issue as the podcast machine.
2> My photo editing machine also running windows 10. Same. Installs only the webcam stuff, won't run.
3> My general PC I use to look at email. Windows 11. Install fails with the "unable to start service" error that others have had here and been unable to get a resolution for.

So this is a hard one really. I could say it simply doe snot run at all on any system running Windows 10. But others seem to have no issue. I could say it only runs on Windows 11 but it won't install on a second w11 unit so I dunno.

Does anyone know what is needed in the way of MS VS packages that were installed on the laptop running W11 that are NOT installed on any other machine so far? other than the OS this seems to be th eonly software difference in why the actual webcam utility loads vs does not load.

oh - all are either Windows 10 PRO or Windows 11 Pro

3 REPLIES 3

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings dwe,

When installing the EOS Webcam Utility software, please make sure that you are running the Setup.exe file and not the *.msi or the *.cab files. We recommend to also extract the ZIP file to where all files contained within it are placed into a folder of the same download file name.

I've tested the software on my system running with Windows 10 Home and the software installs without issues and is able to open, even if a camera is not connected to the computer. This is version 2.0.30 of the EOS Webcam Utility software.

It does sound like there is a setting or something else on your Windows machines that is preventing the software from installing and running properly. Please check any security settings or security software to see if those may be causing an issue with the EOS Webcam Utility software. Any modifications to how Windows runs may also affect how non-Microsoft software is installed, like changing registry settings or certain default services from running on Windows. You may reach out to Microsoft to see if they may be able to provide some assistance.

Thanks for the reply.

1. I am running the setup file. Not running from the msi file. Also I do extract the file. I've actually even downloaded the file at least 3 times to make sure the download wasn't corrupt.

2. On my windows 10 machines it does install with no errors. It just will not open the actual "app". The services do run and the camera does connect. But all the shows in the logo "slide" in the preview window.

3. Because it isn't an MS issue not sure how contacting them will help. My question was about why on W11 it also installs some run times for the MS stuff and it does not do that on the W10 machines. What is being installed? Also what security setting need to be looked at? In other words what dependency is needed for the app to run and/or the service to run (on the one W11 machine)

EDIT: If it helps here are error logs from the W11 machine it won't install on.
=======

Fault bucket 1807303658077645240, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: EWCService.exe
P2: 1.2.39.0
P3: 642db5d6
P4: EWCService.exe
P5: 1.2.39.0
P6: 642db5d6
P7: c000001d
P8: 000000000002792a
P9:
P10:

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 848884f6-66c9-4e31-b4bc-06fc9d802982
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: d3acece704ec697eb914d519fcfb69b8
Cab Guid: 0

==================

Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program EWCService because of this error.

Program: EWCService
File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: 0x0
Disk type: 0x0

================
Faulting application name: EWCService.exe, version: 1.2.39.0, time stamp: 0x642db5d6
Faulting module name: EWCService.exe, version: 1.2.39.0, time stamp: 0x642db5d6
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x000000000002792a
Faulting process id: 0x0xF6C
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA12C232092653
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Canon\EOS Webcam Utility Pro\EWCService.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Canon\EOS Webcam Utility Pro\EWCService.exe
Report Id: a00b9d4f-66ed-4211-b3b5-177f6798cfdb
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

=========
Product: EOS Webcam Utility Pro -- Error 1920. Service 'EWCService' (EWCService.exe) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
=========

Thanks.

@NatalyaP wrote:

Greetings dwe,

When installing the EOS Webcam Utility software, please make sure that you are running the Setup.exe file and not the *.msi or the *.cab files. We recommend to also extract the ZIP file to where all files contained within it are placed into a folder of the same download file name.

I've tested the software on my system running with Windows 10 Home and the software installs without issues and is able to open, even if a camera is not connected to the computer. This is version 2.0.30 of the EOS Webcam Utility software.

It does sound like there is a setting or something else on your Windows machines that is preventing the software from installing and running properly. Please check any security settings or security software to see if those may be causing an issue with the EOS Webcam Utility software. Any modifications to how Windows runs may also affect how non-Microsoft software is installed, like changing registry settings or certain default services from running on Windows. You may reach out to Microsoft to see if they may be able to provide some assistance.

Ironically in doing a search someone posted on MS about these issues and MS said to ask Cannon. So NataylaP considering a lot of other users are having the same form of issues has there been any updates on a planned fix you can tell me/us about?

Announcements