cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam software on Rebel XS EOS?

netrate
Apprentice

I have read that as long as there is live view, the beta webcam software works - but I cannot find the Rebel XS EOS on the canon site listed for webcam software?  Any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@netrate wrote:

I have read that as long as there is live view, the beta webcam software works - but I cannot find the Rebel XS EOS on the canon site listed for webcam software?  Any ideas?

I would conclude that the camera is probably too old, and will not be supported.  It is my understanding that the cameras are put into a reduced resolution movie mode to stream th video.  I do not think the digital Rebel XS really had video capability, at least not internally.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ok thanks.  I am going to try it anyway.  How is the software supposed to work?  does it have an interface?

No it acts like a driver, there is no user interface or user adjustable settings.

@netrate wrote:

Ok thanks.  I am going to try it anyway.  How is the software supposed to work?  does it have an interface?

After you install the software just start a webhosting program (like Zoom) and start a meeting. Monitor will display the software logo.

Annotation 2020-05-02 085818.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ok, thank you. I can confirm now that that Canon XS EOS rebel does indeed work with Skype and the beta software.

hello, can you share how you made it work since the rebel xs does not have a video function?

which cameras model do i use to download the software?

Did you connect it with video out port or usb? Also, which setting did you use since it doesn't have a Video setting?

Wow I had my doubts but it does work with the Canon XS Rebel. I tested it on Windows 10.

• For those wondering I picked the EOS Rebel SL1 from the download list for the EOS Webcam Utility, I don't think it matters though.
  • Install the application.
  • Connect you Rebel XS to your computer via USB.
  • Make sure Live View Shooting is enabled on your camera.
  • Launch Skype, Teams, OBS you name it.
  • Go to their respective video settings, select EOS Webcam Utility as your webcam and that's it, you have a perfectly working webcam now.
  • It works with these camera settings: A-DEP, M, Av, TV, PAutomatic does not work, neither does any of the presets (Portrait, Landscape, Sports etc.)

Note: While it's well known that the Rebel XS model doesn't have a video function, it did manage to output a 1024 x 576 px signal at 20 fps, not amazing but not bad either for a webcam.

Announcements