cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING: iOS Canon Camera Connect 3.0.1x puts same location in every photo.

allenhuffman
Contributor

5/6/2023 Update: I did more testing today. The location stored in every photo is the location where the phone was when you "Start recording." Every photo taken that day will have that GPS coordinate, and though the photos have the correct time, the GPS timestamp will be the same as well. (3.0.11.24 build 1341 was used today, same issue.)

I tried the updated Camera Connect last week. I was running the 3.0.10 (or it might have updated to 3.0.11 by then) on an iPhone 14 Pro with 1TB storage. When I used the version available in October 2022 (probably 2.9.22), it still had the issues where it would often just stop logging during the day. I had days on that trip where I forgot to keep checking it, and lost half a day or more of GPS data.

The new version looked like it was working better, since it was always still logging each night when I went to shut it off and upload GPS data in to my Canon G5X.

Unfortunately, tonight I found out it only put in SEVEN (7) GPS locations in the 4300 photos I took over the five days. They ALL have GPS data, but it's one of the seven locations repeated through thousands of photos.

4/12 UPDATE: Using ‘exiftool’ it now appears that the SAME GPS date/time and lat/lon is embedded in every image taken the same day, so my 7 locations were from the 7 days I used the camera, it seems.

I confirmed this using the 'exiftool' command line, and a script I had ChatGPT help me write (https://github.com/allenhuffman/EXIFPhotoScripts/)

This is a huge failure. Fortunately, due to all the problems I've had with Camera Connect over the past five years, this trip I ran a "Geotag Photos 2" app as well, though I did not have it logging as frequently as I would have liked. I hope to be able to use it's data to at least get my photos in the general area they were taken.

This is a big disappointment, since I recently created a script that lets me draw out regions in a Google Map, export it out as a KML file, then let the script sort photos in to subfolders based on the areas drawn on the map. This turned a sorting process of photos from Knott's Berry Farm in to a half hour process instead of spending a week or more working on it by hand.

Anyone had this problem? It shows 3.0.1 came out 5 months ago (no note on GPS changes), then 3.0.10 1 month ago (new camera support) and then 3.0.11 a week ago.

Takin’ digital photos since 1996. (Canon G5X, currently)
25 REPLIES 25

allenhuffman
Contributor

3.1.10 came out last week. I’ll try it as soon as I can but I don’t expect much. I don’t think this bug report from my ticket makes it to the development team.

mittererr
Apprentice

Same problem with EOS RP and iOS App v 3.1.10.50 (build 1385). I have also lost geo tagging of hundrets of photos 😞.

allenhuffman
Contributor

I tried iPhoneOS version 3.1.10 two weeks ago, and it still has the provlem. I am using Geotag Photos 2, and GraphicConverter on Mac to place the coordinates in my photos later. Geotag also lets me export the GOS data so I can open it up in a map, which is something I had asked Canon about years ago for a feature.

mittererr
Apprentice

Workaround for Lightroom Classic Users:

• Track your photo trip as GPS track (maybe with your mobile phone, smart watch, GPS device, etc)
  • Import photos in Lightroom Classic
  • Go to "Map" view
  • Import your GPS track by clicking on "Load tracklog"
  • Click on "Auto-Tag photos"

Voila - your pics are now geotagged. In my case the altitude is saved in metadata too. I like this workflow, because I must not take care for Camera Connect App anymore. I can focus on shooting.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Camera Connect Version 3.1.10.50. iOS Version 17.1.1. Canon EOS M200.

Just ran a test today. Took some random photos while I was running errands. GPS data transferred to the RAW camera files and location displays in Lightroom Maps.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 142833.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

allenhuffman
Contributor

Since Canon does not offer repair services on their point-and-shoots, I may be about to move to a new camera. Unfortunately, due to Canon not being interested in supporting things like the GPS app, it will likely not be a Canon. Until then, has anyone had any success with this app on a G5X?

Announcements