cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Chromebook to process Canon .CR3 Raw files

casablues
Contributor

I am thinking of trading in my Windows laptop for a Chromebook.  Currently I am using DPP4 to process Raw files, but it will not work in a Chromebook.  I read that you can access Adobe Photoshop Express online, but the documentation I found lists support for .CR2 but not .CR3.    Is anyone using a Chromebook with Raw files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

casablues
Contributor

Thanks to all for the candid feedback, which I will keep in mind as I continue my research.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Others might not share my views, so they can respond also.  

My recommendation is don't do it.  ChromeOS.  Look at its market share, then at other manufacturers websites.  How many are developing software and drivers for their products to work with ChromeOS?  There is your proof. 

DPP will not install under ChromeOS, neither will CaptureOne, Affinity, Topaz, DxO. Photoshop, Lr, MS Office Suite, etc, etc etc. Now imagine trying to edit a photo using a cloud based application.  There is no internet connection "fast enough".

Chromebooks are 100% apps and extensions based.  They are great for kids and schools, but they are limited in many aspects.  Note, I am a Android user for nearly 14 years, so I am not anti Google.  I truly believe you will be setting yourself up for disappointment.  If you want to try something new, I would suggest buying a Mac over a chromebook.  😉   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I agree with Rick 100%.

Here is what Adobe says about Photoshop Express:  "Photoshop Express is specifically built for mobile device photography. Its accessible interface enables photo collage edits and social network sharing."

If you were editing with DPP4 you would be extremely disappointed with the options available for Chromebook.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Chrome books are web browsers with a lot of browser extensions.  You cannot edit RAW files on them.  Software selection is limited. 

I recommend that you stick with Windows.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

casablues
Contributor

Thanks to all for the candid feedback, which I will keep in mind as I continue my research.

Announcements