cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Mac OS 14 Sonoma - now can't connect EOS Utility to EOS Rebel T7

CoinGuy
Contributor

I use my Eos Rebel T7 on a custom camera stand to take photos of coins as part of my business. I connect via USB cable to my MacBook Pro and use Remote Shooting in EOS Utility 3.0 to focus, zoom and take photos. Then I stupidly upgraded from OS Ventura to OS 14 Sonoma, and now EOS Utility 3.0 doesn't work. I've checked the cable - it's working, as I see the camera in my Image Capture app. The EOS Utility just doesn't respond - sometimes I get nothing, and sometimes I get to the right screen where I would select Remote Shooting, but it's greyed out and I just have the spinning pinwheel. I have to force quit the app because it's not responding. So, clearly I upgraded to an OS that is too new and isn't compatible with EOS Utility. Is there any way to make my system work so I can still use live shooting? Will Canon be releasing an updated EOS Utility anytime soon? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is a paid app called Kuuvik Capture from the App Store.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

Ablongro
Contributor

after a few hours of trouble shooting I have the work around. Not ideal but this is what fixed it for me. 
I followed the following articles instructions BUT what it does not say is what I found deep in another forum. 
BEFORE you start your Mac in recovery you have to go to your settings, privacy and security, scroll down to File Vault and turn off file vault. this will let you run the code in terminal on the reboot. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213969

But even after all that the only way I could get the webcam utility to work was not through a hard wired connection, only a wifi connection. Being that I dont use wifi on my computer ever bc the hard line is much faster, this just created another work around for me. 

Ablongro
Contributor

after a few hours of trouble shooting I have the work around. Not ideal but this is what fixed it for me. 
I followed the following articles instructions BUT what it does not say is what I found deep in another forum. 
BEFORE you start your Mac in recovery you have to go to your settings, privacy and security, scroll down to File Vault and turn off file vault. this will let you run the code in terminal on the reboot. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213969

But even after all that the only way I could get the webcam utility to work was not through a hard wired connection, only a wifi connection. 

After I turned off File Vault, ran through the steps in recovery mode, restarted and turned File Vault back on I've not had any issues. 

I tried and mine will only work through the wifi connection. And even then zoom is still not picking it up. I also have an intel chip. So since Apple is optimizing everything for the silicon Apple chip, this includes the softwares from apps are having to do the same. So even though my $4,000 computer works just fine. Im going to be forced into purchasing a new one in the next year to be able to utilize anything. 

oh im sorry, I meant finance a new one since they will only give me $600 for the one I have... lol FML.

I have a 2019 intel Macbook Pro and the solution worked just fine for me. It's not ideal but it works until they update it via Canon.

Anbech
Apprentice

Very frustrating, after updating macOS Canon Webcam Utility does not work anymore.
Please Canon do an update asap! 

generationsnow
Apprentice

As of January 5, 2024, Canon Support Told me the "engineers are working on it."

She said it has been going on "for at least a month" but in this forum I see it is more like 3 months.

generationsnow
Apprentice

SOLVED --
I followed these instructions and it worked on my desktop mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/108387

Great work, if you go through this thread you'll see a few of us implemented the same solution. It's not ideal but it works for the time being. I use my Rebel t7 for a webcam and a Yeti Blue mic and after the newest MacOS both stopped working. This got my cam up and working again but the dang mic is still down.

PaulPr
Apprentice

This is what works for me:

Load remote capture to your start up items in prefs.

Restart computer without opening previous or ANY apps.

Turn on your camera that is tethered. Once the remote window opens, you can open Bridge, ect.

Announcements