cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Connecting EOS R8 to EOS Utility on a Mac

tjdowling
Contributor

I am having issues connecting my R8 to my Mac via the EOS Utility. I have the latest software and have gone through the user manual. The message I keep getting is:

"Communication with the camera via USB cannot be established.
Start EOS Utility after closing all the apps that communicate with the camera, and then turn on the camera again."

I am unaware of any apps that I have that would be trying to communicate with my camera in the background. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@tjdowling wrote:

I am having issues connecting my R8 to my Mac via the EOS Utility. I have the latest software and have gone through the user manual. The message I keep getting is:

"Communication with the camera via USB cannot be established.
Start EOS Utility after closing all the apps that communicate with the camera, and then turn on the camera again."

I am unaware of any apps that I have that would be trying to communicate with my camera in the background. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks in advance.

It is a problem that seems to have developed with the 13.4.1 update to Ventura.

I was able to sync my 1D X MkIII prior to that update and now I get that error.

If you are only looking to download images you could get a card reader. If you are wanting the tethering features then we have to wait for Apple to fix the problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65

The problem seems to be with 3.17. Try 3.16.12. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I'll try!! Thanks..

Didn't work. I give up!

If you just want to download images Apple Image Capture is free 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Many thanks. Ironically I just discovered that you can directly download to Apple Photos on a Mac... more and more things to tempt me away from Lightroom!

fpr6
Apprentice

hello,
I have the same problem with the R5 and the R6.
I always wait a long time before installing a new operating system, but there are always problems with canon...
one way to connect the camera to the computer is tether shooting via lightroom.
This works, but you can't access all the camera functions there.

Yanko
Apprentice

I think I found a solution, it appears that MacOS Sonoma on Apple Silicon checks all USB accessories when they are connected (for security reasons I guess) and this check is apparently happening when connecting the camera with USB cable as well. That seems to be preventing EOS Utility working correctly. In my tests, if I set "Allow accessories to connect" to "Ask Every Time" in the Privacy & Security pane in System Settings, the computer will ask if you want to allow an accessory every time when you connect it, but after allowing the camera, EOS Utility works, at least for me. 

this sounds really promising. However, when I open 'Privacy and Security', where does it ask me my option for "Allow Accessories to connect" - it doesn't appear as an item???

thanks in advance!

I should add my iMac isn't Apple Silicon, its a 27" (2020) model, running the latest Sonoma.

Scroll to the very bottom of the window.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

click here to view the gallery
Announcements