cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Connecting EOS R8 to EOS Utility on a Mac

tjdowling
Contributor

I am having issues connecting my R8 to my Mac via the EOS Utility. I have the latest software and have gone through the user manual. The message I keep getting is:

"Communication with the camera via USB cannot be established.
Start EOS Utility after closing all the apps that communicate with the camera, and then turn on the camera again."

I am unaware of any apps that I have that would be trying to communicate with my camera in the background. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@tjdowling wrote:

I am having issues connecting my R8 to my Mac via the EOS Utility. I have the latest software and have gone through the user manual. The message I keep getting is:

"Communication with the camera via USB cannot be established.
Start EOS Utility after closing all the apps that communicate with the camera, and then turn on the camera again."

I am unaware of any apps that I have that would be trying to communicate with my camera in the background. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks in advance.

It is a problem that seems to have developed with the 13.4.1 update to Ventura.

I was able to sync my 1D X MkIII prior to that update and now I get that error.

If you are only looking to download images you could get a card reader. If you are wanting the tethering features then we have to wait for Apple to fix the problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

62 REPLIES 62

Turn off the computer. Turn on the camera. Turn on the computer. Boot in safe mode... 🤦🏻‍ All this gymnastics looks way weird. I've just checked on my Mac Mini M1. That bash command works just fine for tethered shooting even with EOS Utility 3 v3.18.0. No fuss, no muss.

divella
Contributor

I did sort of fix this issue by starting my Mac in safe mode and disabling image capture. The only problem is when shooting tethered I always have to use safe mode.

Have you tried the bash command I mentioned on the previous page? No safe mode is required. Why extra inconveniences?

Announcements