cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote shooting

newbie15
Apprentice

Hi all. First time poster so be gentle Smiley Happy

I have recently purchased a Canon EOS 600D. I am trying to use it remotely through my laptop but am having problems. The software I am using came with the camera. It is the EOS utility, Version 2.10.2.0.

My camera settings are:

• shutter speed: 1/125
  • f-stop: F10
  • ISO: 100

The camera is attached to 2 flash stands through a hot shoe.

The problem I am having is that I cannot see anything through the camera whenever I go into 'Live View Shooting'. It only shows a black screen on my computer. But when I click Auto Focus the camera somehow opens the shutters (I think because it makes some clicking noises) and I can see the subject matter on my computer monitor. The camera then auto focuses on the subject matter but then closes the shutters again and I am left once again with a black screen.

I have found a workaround to this but it is quite tedious and annoying. What I found is that if I keep increasing my ISO or keep opening my shutter speed somehow the camera lets in more light or something and the subject mater becomes more and more lit up, ie: it is not a black screen anymore. I can then change the focus manually through my laptop. But then, to take the photo I have to adjust the ISO and shutter speed back to my required camera setting before taking the shot. This method will simply not do as it takes too much time to take a single photo.

Is there a setting I am missing or a patch to the EOS utility software? I'd like to be able to see the subject mater in Live View Shooting while keeping my above camera settings. This way I can see what I am shooting and adjust the focus accordingly.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Do you have Exposure Simulation turned on?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John. Thanks for the reply. I think Exposure Simulation is turned on as it displays Exp. SIM when I go into Live View Shooting. I had a look around but could not find a way to turn it off. Would you happen to know how? I have the Canon EOS 600D.

I don't really know how to switch it on or off, or if it is switchable. I was just throwing out a guess that if it was off that may be why your screen was dark.

Maybe this can help? http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_EOSUtility_RemoteOp_QuickGuide.pdf

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements