cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw file support for Linux

Alrozski
Contributor

Hi All,

I have an R7 and a friend has an R10. he cannot display his raw files on his Linux computer, are there and anyy

programs for Linux  to allow displaying the Raw files?

I have no issue wikt my R7 however I am using Windows 11

Thanks very much

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

There are several open source Linux apps for processing, editing and organising image files. I suggest checking out Darktable, or DigiKam. Shotwell is more-or-less the standard Linux app for organising your pictures, and The Gimp is the standard image editing software, the nearest equivalent to Photoshop. I use all of these apps and they read and convert .CR2 files fine. Finally Rawtherapee is possibly the greatest raw file processor there is. And it's cross-platform. I hope this helps!

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

View solution in original post

Peter
Authority
Authority

R7/R10 support since September 2022 for darktable.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

There are several open source Linux apps for processing, editing and organising image files. I suggest checking out Darktable, or DigiKam. Shotwell is more-or-less the standard Linux app for organising your pictures, and The Gimp is the standard image editing software, the nearest equivalent to Photoshop. I use all of these apps and they read and convert .CR2 files fine. Finally Rawtherapee is possibly the greatest raw file processor there is. And it's cross-platform. I hope this helps!

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

Alrozski
Contributor

Thank you Joey will have my friend check this out. 
I appreciate the follow up my friend.

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I hope some of this might be helpful.

I do not have a R10, but it usually takes a while to add support for a new camera to rawtherapee. It may be necessary to build the development version of rawtherapee from source. Also, libraw has a program called dcraw_emu as an example. The dcraw_emu example program from the version of libraw that I downloaded and built from source works with the raw files from my EOS R5, but the version that is included with Debian Bullseye Linux does not.

For many years, I used qemu to run a windows virtual machine on my Debian Linux desktop. The only windows program that I ran was Canon DPP. This requires a windows license that is not tied to particular hardware.

Also, the camera menus may be used to edit a raw file on the camera and export a jpeg or maybe a heif. This might be sufficient for simple things like changing white balance.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

John appreciate the reply, this may be little intense for my friend. Wondering at this point if Canon has something on their site under software and downloads that he can use. Will check this out thx again

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

According to their website, Rawtherapee 5.9 supports both R7 and R10.

Peter
Authority
Authority

R7/R10 support since September 2022 for darktable.

Alrozski
Contributor

Thx very much Peter for the reply . 
will pass along to my friend 

frankienumbers
Apprentice

One popular option is Darktable, which is a free and open-source photography workflow application that supports a wide range of raw file formats, including those from many different camera manufacturers. Another option to consider is Rawtherapee, which is another open-source raw file processor that can handle a variety of different file types.

If your friend is using CentOS 7 Extended Lifecycle Support, it's worth checking if these programs are compatible with that version of the operating system. Both Darktable and Rawtherapee have fairly extensive documentation available online, so it may be helpful to review their system requirements before installing.

Hi Frankienumbers, Thanks very much for your response. I actually started this post because my friend uses Linux. I believe he is using a solution at this time. Again, thx very much

Announcements