cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 MarkII firmware update

Rigoletto
Apprentice

I am new to the R6 MarkII and I am having a very hard time doing the firmware update. The current version on the camera is 1.1.4 and I am trying to install 1.4.0

I followed the update procedure in the dmg file. I dragged the .fir file to my EOS formatted sd card (iMac Sonoma 14.5) but the camera doesn't see the new firmware file. The message I get says "Memory card containing firmware is required to update".  I have tried updating through the Canon "CameraConnect" app as well with no joy. I used to feel tech savvy but with this I am lost. Please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You are on the right track.  

Start by formatting the SD card (in camera)

Use a card reader to copy the .FIR file to the root of your freshly formatted card.  (R6214000.FIR)

As Newton stated, install this 1 card only

Put the camera into P mode.  Open the LCD on the camera.  Use the Main dial to navigate to the firmware update tab.  Then use the Quick Control dial to navigate to the update.  Do not use the viewfinder.  Do not use the touch screen for navigation.  Move the focus from Cancel to OK using the Quick Control Dial,  Press the Set button to execute.  Do not touch any buttons until the update completes.

If you don't have the update option, either the .FIR file is unreadable (corrupt), or is not in the root directory of the card.

Please post your progress.  😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

If you are using two cards, remove the card in slot two and make sure the card with the FIR file is in slot one.

Newton

Thank you but, just one card in slot one only with the .fir file on that card.

The only other thing I can think of is that only one FIR is in the root of the card. It should look like this:

Firmware on SD Card-3.jpg

So, if you have a previous update on the card, delete it 🙂

Newton

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You are on the right track.  

Start by formatting the SD card (in camera)

Use a card reader to copy the .FIR file to the root of your freshly formatted card.  (R6214000.FIR)

As Newton stated, install this 1 card only

Put the camera into P mode.  Open the LCD on the camera.  Use the Main dial to navigate to the firmware update tab.  Then use the Quick Control dial to navigate to the update.  Do not use the viewfinder.  Do not use the touch screen for navigation.  Move the focus from Cancel to OK using the Quick Control Dial,  Press the Set button to execute.  Do not touch any buttons until the update completes.

If you don't have the update option, either the .FIR file is unreadable (corrupt), or is not in the root directory of the card.

Please post your progress.  😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you all for your advice. I tried removing the FIR file from the card and adding it back to the sd card and this time it worked flawlessly. Possibly the first one was corrupted. At any rate, THANK YOU !!!

Now installed, may I delete the FIR file from the SD card?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Yes, delete the .FIR file from the card.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements