cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to open .CR3 in DPP4

Anoop57
Apprentice

Hi,
I am not able to open .CR3 with Digital Photo Professional 4 in macOS Ventura 13.5.1
I don't know what. is wrong with application I downloaded it form Canon.
Anyone have idea how to fix it.
Thank you!
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 6.59.19 PM.png

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If the file name appears with a question mark "?", it means the OS cannot read the file type.  It may mean the file is corrupt or is being read incorrectly.  Are you naming the files differently?

Can you view the image file(s) on the camera.  How are you transferring them to the MAC?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi, 
Thank you for the reply. 
File name is correct "Filename.CR3" and I am able to open it with Adobe tools.
Yes I am able to view images on camera. I connect my M50 Mark2 with mac through EOS utility and transfer  them into my laptop.

Can you post a sample file to One Drive or Dropbox so we can evaluate issue?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Is your version of DPP 4 the most recent? If not it might be good to check for updates.

If you have a card reader slot on your Mac, I suggest removing the memory card from your camera and write protecting it by moving the switch on the card and inserting it into the card reader on the Mac.

Then in DPP navigate to /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/ (might be some number other than 100) and try opening a CR3 file. If that works, save from DPP to a folder on the Mac hard drive. Adobe tools might have modified the files so that DPP can no longer read them but only Adobe software. I do not use any Adobe software, so I do not know if this is what happened. If the memory card is write protected, then the files cannot be modified.

Apple Photos.app may also be able to process these files, but I prefer DPP.

In finder, one may go to /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/ and preview the CR3 files that are on the memory card. Finder can also copy from the memory card to the hard drive. If the memory card is not write protected, then finder will write hidden files to the memory card that might confuse the camera.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I need to do some research but I thought I remember reading or seeing a post from somebody previously where Adobe was doing something to the files after import.  Somebody else may remember before I reply back.

Also, when you say Adobe tools does this mean Adobe camera raw? And if so what version are you running?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Adobe Photoshop and Light Room.

Which versions do you have though?

I personally have the following:

• Photoshop 25.1
  • Lightroom Classic 13.0.1
  • Camera RAW 16.0

Assuming you have Creative Cloud, launch that on your Mac and visit the Updates panel.  I will show the specific versions of what you have.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi,
I don't have. problem with Adobe tools I am facing issue with Digital Photo Professional 4.
DPP4 is not able to read .CR3 files. Its shows "?" in box. I added a attachment please have a look.
Thank you.
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 6.59.19 PM.png

Announcements