cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from RF 100-400mm for birding pics

mandrewleif
Apprentice

Hi all - first time poster here 🙂

Last year for Father's Day I purchased an R10 and the RF 100-400mm primarily for birding pictures and have loved them both!  I'm one of the many millennials who got into birding during the pandemic (it's basically real life Pokemon), and I enjoy taking pictures to being able to ID them while building up my photography chops.

Now that I've filled just over two 128GB cards, I'm ready to start saving up to invest in an upgrade to my RF 100-400mm lens.  What recommendations are out there?  I recently purchased an EF-EOS R adapter, so I'm not married to it being an RF lens.  Budget-wise, I'm comfortable saving up for awhile, so if you think the $$$ is worth it for a higher price lens I'm open to hearing your rationale.

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
I have been a wildlife photographer myself for over 40 years, and more concentrated in birds since my return to NZ.  If you love birds, you should pay us a visit - NZ became isolated during the era of the birds and reptiles, and we have only one native mammal species - a diminutive bat.  The result is a huge diversity of birds, many of which ceased to fly and have gorgeous plumage.

I have a lot of different telephoto lenses: EF 100-400L II, Sigma 60-600s, RF 100-500L and, most recently, the RF 200-800.   Given that birds are often at distance, many quite small, reach is important.  It was for that reason that I purchased the RF 200-800 IS USM lens when it became available and it is that optic that I would recommend.

It is responsive, not too heavy, and the magnification is truly epic - a combination that makes its price tag a great deal.  My second choice would be either the RF100-500L (fantastic but not cheap) or, since you have an adapter, the Sigma 60-600s which is a great optic, heavy but with tremendous flexibility of focal range.  For sample photos primarily from the 200-800, but also one from the Sigma, see:
First Shots with the RF 200-800 - Page 2 - Canon Community

I posted a series of images taken with the 200-800 when I first got the lens and I am very impressed with it still after more use.  So, that would be my first choice for your situation.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you, Trevor!  These are great recommendations.  I really like the idea of being able to double my focal range with the RF 200-800.  I recently rented the most expensive telephoto lens available at the local rental place for a weekend trip over my birthday (EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM Lens).  It it was truly impressive, I now know that for right now I want a lens light enough that I can hand hold 😅

A long lens, especially a zoom one is not going to be lightweight, however for its capability, it is actually quite light because it uses a lot of engineered plastics.   I am 71, and can shoot with it hand-held for extended periods because I do weight training - I always have.  Often folks practice with their photographic skills and performance, but it's important to do the appropriate physical exercise to be able to walk, carry gear and generally perform.

An alternative is to use a monopod, which can be extremely effective for using heavy lenses for extended periods, and for lower light.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I recently rented the most expensive telephoto lens available at the local rental place for a weekend trip over my birthday (EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM Lens).  It it was truly impressive, ..."

I have a Canon 600mm and I also have the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens. I use the Sigma 99.5% of the time I want a super tele. The difference in picture IQ is negligible to not at all. Both are very heavy, though, that doesn't bother me as I am accustomed to heavy photo gear.

Since its introduction I have been recommending to folks that want a super tele to try the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. IMHO, it is the best lens in this class currently on the market. Buying today I probably would have bought it over my big Siggy Sport but it wasn't available then.

Again, IMHO, the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens is the lens Canon should have made. But what Tamron has done with the G2 series is nothing short of fantastic. I have a very strong desire to keep all my gear Canon unless Canon doesn't have what I want or need. So, would I be happy with the new RF 200-800mm? Yes, I am sure I would but not at this point in my life. On the other hand if you want to save grand or so check out the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ooo I'll definitely check these out - thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although I love my Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens, I am not a fan of the  Sigma 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens mentioned above. First, nobody buys a super tele zoom to shoot at 60mm or even 150mm. This is one reason I applauded Canon for making their super zoom a 200mm to 80mm. A far better FL to offer in a super tele zoom. But secondly, I feel the IQ has suffered a bit in the Sigma 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens compared to the 150mm-600mm version. It is especially true in the 150mm down to 60mm FL for one thing a 10:1 zoom ratio is not the best idea. 1:3 very much more reasonable.

People brag on the images these lenses make and truth be known all of them produce great photos. Most of the time you need to pixel peep to see or tell the difference and that ain't real world stuff for sure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The main reason someone buys a super wide range telephoto, such as the Sigma 60-600s is to get a lot of flexibility, obviously.  This can be helpful where one cannot, or chooses not to bring multiple lenses of different focal ranges because of bulk, weight or convenience.  Such an optic allows one to switch extremely quickly from shooting landscape, to portrait, to distant wildlife and back again, which I have done on a few occasions.   The following trio are from a selection I shot of a NZ native Kaka parrot in its bush environment.  In such conditions they can end up very close because they are not particularly afraid of humans.  All shots hand-held, available light.  I do have a portrait shot and a landscape one, but for the life of me can't find them, but whatever! 🙂
  R6, Sigma 60-600@475mm, f/6.3, 1/400sec, ISO-1600R6, Sigma 60-600@475mm, f/6.3, 1/400sec, ISO-1600  R6, Sigma 60-600@214mm, f/5.6, 1/40sec, ISO-1600R6, Sigma 60-600@214mm, f/5.6, 1/40sec, ISO-1600
R6, Sigma 60-600@133mm, f/5.6, 1/100sec, ISO-1600R6, Sigma 60-600@133mm, f/5.6, 1/100sec, ISO-1600

I actually also owned the Sigma 150-600c lens for quite a while and had to make a choice as to which to replace, and the 60-600 stayed, both for its focal range and weather sealing.

However, I see you in a somewhat different position where, according to what I understand, you want maximum reach - in which case the 200-800 is, IMHO, the way to go, especially given you are using an R10 which has the excellent face and eye tracking that will be enhanced with the properties of a native RF optic.  If you are not sure, I recommend renting one for a weekend or so and trying it out.

cheers, TREVOR

"This can be helpful where one cannot, or chooses not to bring multiple lenses of different focal ranges because of bulk, weight or convenience."

Yup, that's definitely me! 😅 I am certainly intrigued by that convenience...but the extra reach also sounds lovely. Good thing I'll be saving up for awhile to keep thinking this through.

Gorgeous Kaka photos. And thanks for the tidbit about the RF lenses providing the enhanced tracking. That's the exact level of detail and consideration that made me want to post the question here!

You are welcome! 🙂
I am happy to help in any way I can but obviously others will offer different perspectives and that is a good thing.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements