cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need .cr3 codec for new computer to use with Windows Explorer

favpixs
Apprentice

Have 90D and windows 11, built new computer but .cr3 photos will not display.

downloaded dpp4 and windows explorer will not display .cr3 photos.

Is there a .cr3 codec available for simple install and use?

2 REPLIES 2

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

A while back, when I first started using CR3, I downloaded and paid for the FastPictureViewer Codec Pac. This worked and allowed me to view CR3's in the Windows Explorer preview pane and also shows a CR3 thumbnail. I've since upgraded my laptop to Windows 11 and it still works. Their web page doesn't mention 11, but I think you get a trial period so you can at least see if it installs on Windows 11. Another thing about this app that I really like is it's extended EXIF data when you click "Details" in the View menu structure. The app integrates seamlessly into File Explorer and other than doing its job, you don't even know it's there.

** As a side note: I really dislike the new File Explorer in 11. So, I type "Control Panel" in the search bar, then in the search bar at the top of Control Panel, I type "home". This opens the classic File Explorer. I just keep that open in my tray.

Newton

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Microsoft offers a free RAW image extension for cr3 files.

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9nctdw2w1bh8?hl=en-US&gl=US

Support for CR3 files is listed.  Haven't tried or tested.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements