cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to rotate a video shot sideways

Keith_itis
Apprentice

Hi, so a friend of mine filmed me on an event, but with the camera on the side. I see nowhere how to turn the video around to not be on the side. I tried putting it on my phone to see if I could change it, no success. Maybe there's a way to do it on PC I wasn't able to do? I transferred it on my Google drive for now, if you have a solution let me know, because I am so mad at him for real.

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You need a video editor to do a rotate.

iMovie and I suppose Quicktime can do it on a Mac

Look at ClipMaster on Windows.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Keith_itis,

You can rotate videos in VLC Media Player too.

There are YouTube videos on how to do that.

Steve Thomas

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

If you have access to a Linux system, then:

-display_rotation[:stream_specifier] rotation (input,per-stream) Set video rotation metadata.

rotation is a decimal number specifying the amount in degree by which the video should be rotated counter-clockwise before being displayed.

This option overrides the rotation/display transform metadata stored in the file, if any. When the video is being transcoded (rather than copied) and -autorotate is enabled, the video will be rotated at the filtering stage. Otherwise, the metadata will be written into the output file if the muxer supports it.

If the -display_hflip and/or -display_vflip options are given, they are applied after the rotation specified by this option.

ffmpeg -i $INPUTVIDEO -metadata:s:v rotate="-90" -codec copy $OUTPUTVIDEO

Might work with other operating systems also: https://ffmpeg.org/

click here to view the gallery
Announcements