cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with PSE 2021

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I had posted this a while back and couldn't find it. I searched and came up with zero. Trying again so bear with me. I have looked in my PSE 2021 For Dummies and can't find anything on how to cut and paste a photo. I like to take bird photos in my backyard but houses, fences, etc. spoil it. Am I looking for other terminology that relates to my question? Thanks. BTW, I also have DPP4.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
11 REPLIES 11

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you looking to crop? basically defining some frame within the image to omit distractions as much as possible?  Or are you speaking about digitally removing distractions from various places within the image?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I'm thinking I'm needing to crop (wasn't sure of the terminology I needed): take a portion of the photo that has a bird, "lifting" it and pasting on an appropriate background as trees, shrubs, etc. I have squirrels, rabbits and a number of different birds that frequent our backyard, hummingbird feeders and bird feeders. Thanks, Ricky.

John

You need the "Selection Tool", although that's not the only way to do what you want. I don't use PSE, but all editors are basically the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY6D1N1MNVc

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There is a very good YouTube channel called Photoshop Training Channel.

https://youtu.be/sjnva6g71fU 

However, this channel is about full blown PS, not PSE.  But the [basic] techniques for getting things done are the same.  One of the first skill sets you need to wrap your head around is Layers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is one of the more simple tools in PSE. Simply select the object you want. There are several methods in PSE.

On a WIndows machine press Ctrl-C to copy. Press Ctrl-V to place it where you want it. Whether in a new document or in the same one. Ctrl-X will remove it. I am sure Mac has similar keyboard controls whatever they are.

SInce this method is destructive you may want to learn how to use layers and masks. Layers and masks are the reason for using PSE or PS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW if you are on the most current version of PSE, it has  Adobe Sensei AI technology to identify subjects automatically.  There is also the marquee tools and lasso tool beside the automatic selection tool.

After selection you can use the refine edge tool to make the selection perfect.

This along with layers and maks is where DPP4 falls short.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I want to remove a small portion of a photo and "paste" on a more appropriate background. Example: Remove a squirrel on a tree limb that shows a house or fence in the background. Take a generic photo with greenery and "paste" the squirrel on it. BTW, thanks for your replies. I have lots of photos for practice!

John

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP
Announcements