cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Canon Abandoned software support for DSLR's under macOS Sonoma?

Miamic70
Enthusiast

Has Canon Abandoned software support for DSLR's under macOS Sonoma?

Company with nearly 40 Billion dollar market cap constantly FAILS at software.

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Negative.

What exact issues are you experiencing?  Apple has a long history of updating their OS that break third party applications, especially third party camera applications.  Nikon and Sony have similar issues with the Apple platforms.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

cbracerx
Contributor

EOS Utility 3.18 does not work to connect to camera on MacBook Pro M3 Max running Sonoma 14.5 with R7 or M6 Mark II 😞 

I found that if the SD Card is not in the camera, the EOS Utility will connect to the M6 Mark II or R7 with latest firmware.  Functions such as setting the time and owner copywrite work.  But as soon as a card is inserted, the entire camera connection is dropped.  I've given the EOS utility Full Disk Access in Privacy and Security - does not help.

@cbracerx wrote:

I found that if the SD Card is not in the camera, the EOS Utility will connect to the M6 Mark II.  Functions such as setting the time and owner copywrite work.  But as soon as a card is inserted, the entire camera connection is dropped.  I've given the EOS utility Full Disk Access in Privacy and Security - does not help.

I have no problem with my 1D X Mark III. Do you perhaps have Wi-Fi turned on on the cameras?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I've tried with WiFi on and off. No difference.  The only factor that prevents connection is having the SD card in the camera.

Interesting. When I connect my 1D X both cards are installed. I also tried my M200 - works with card installed.

I run EOSU3 directly, I don't rely on the EOSU startup app. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

With oversight of the relative frequency of issues with software support, not only for Canon, but Nikon as well, the overwhelming majority of them are associated with Apple software.   Microsoft seems to have a much better relationship with their client hardware providers.  I have seen this with cameras, some printers (and not so much Canon as another brand), and scanners again of non-Canon brand predominantly.
With respect, I am going to strongly suggest that you consider the onus for the issues you experience are part of a pattern that lies with Apple, and not with Canon or the other 3rd-party OEMs.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It is two-fold, Apple does seem to keep changing requirements, but I am pretty sure that the software development effort is generally a 80/20 split microsoft/Apple.

There do seem to be a lot more issues with Win 11.

Can’t wait to hear the excuses when Windows moves to ARM. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements