cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time user of DPP4 encountering an odd issue with cr3 jpg and picture styles

MarkTwo
Contributor

Hello everyone o/

Below are screencaptures of DPP4 and Windows 11's File Explorer's view of a few photos. 
Notice  the difference between the cr3 and jpg in File Explorer.  So far  so good and  as expected. 
But  now  opening  that folder with the Picture Styled jpg's and the raw files  DPP4  presents me  with tonally identical looking images. 
I seem to be  unable to  revert  to the difference  as seen in the File Explorer's view of the raw files. 

Stumped!

Screenshot 2024-06-13 223348.pngScreenshot 2024-06-13 223824.pngScreenshot 2024-06-13 225212.pngScreenshot 2024-06-13 230400 (2250X1500 3_2).png

Canon EOS m6 mk2, ef-m 32mm f1.4, ef-m 28mm f3.5, ef-m 22mm f2, ef-s 35mm f2.8 - looking for a ef-m 11-22mm f4
18 REPLIES 18

@MarkTwo wrote:

I've tried 'neutral' etc in DPP4,  gamma correction etc, but  no matter what I do I can not bring back the detail that seems to have gotten lost. 

Neutral PS creates low sharpness and contrast images as a starting point for post processing and allowing for sharpness and contrast adjustment in DPP4. Gamma correction will adjust exposure.

Have you tried Fine Detail PS?

What image are you comparing the lost detail to?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I will try Fine Detail next! 
Mostly I am looking at photos of my son at our kithcen table working on a Scratch project  ( I won't post family photos here ^^) which in File Explorer and the Windows Photos app shows as the day was - cloudy and overcast, but enough light to show the pores in his skin, small variations in skintone etc. 
The DPP4 view is the Picture profile  - in this case Fuji 400H - which presents a sort of  pleasant almost overexposed look with pleasing colours which bring out his eyes but most all detail of his skin has  disappeared and subtleties of clothing and in the structure of his hair as well.

Similarly the pictures of Kees our cat  in the cr3 files viewed in the Photos app of Windows 11 the colours or decently neutral and true to what I saw in real life, and zoomed in is fine detail visible ón the hairs and each hair is clearly defined from the other    but in DPP4  with most Styles I have tried to change to  this fine detail  is mostly lost in translation. 

Canon EOS m6 mk2, ef-m 32mm f1.4, ef-m 28mm f3.5, ef-m 22mm f2, ef-s 35mm f2.8 - looking for a ef-m 11-22mm f4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Mark.

How are you doing this in DPP4?

"The DPP4 view is the Picture profile  - in this case Fuji 400H"

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

When I load photos made in a specific profile it shows in dpp4 which profile I used. If I change it afterwards the preview window will show the Style the cr3 was taken in  on the left in preview window  and the one I change it to on the right. 

Its odd that the text of DPP4 Styles on the website says  "Picture Profiles do not affect the raw image and you can remove the style or change it" because  you can't and it does =/ * 

*again  all relative to my view in Windows Explorer/Photos app which shows the cr3 file as a very neutral photo without style  and the jpg  with the applied picture style

I am familiar with film emulation profiles for software like Lightroom but I am not familiar with their use in DPP. How do you apply the profiles and have them show in DPP?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"Picture Profiles do not affect the raw image and you can remove the style or change it" because  you can't and it does =/ * ”

Picture Styles are an entry in one of the file locations of a .CR3 file. It tells the camera how to display the processed file on the back of the camera and how to display the file in DPP. It does not alter the digital data captured by the camera sensor. 
It can’t be deleted in the sense that there has to be a Picture Style, but the one being used can be changed in DPP and the RAW file can be saved so that the newly chosen PS becomes the default for that file. 
Most third party software programs do not recognize Picture Styles. Lightroom can be configured to recognize the in-camera settings, but even then it will display Adobe’s version of the PS. It won’t be exactly like the camera version. 
Canon provides a free software called Picture Style Editor. It can be used to create custom PS files. They can be uploaded to the camera and selected for use. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Well it is what it is I guess.  Thanks John.    I will get the DPP4 manual at the ready on my tablet and go explore sides of photography I hadn't really before - part of the fun!

I got out my EOS 80D camera which has SCN modes. If I use an SCN mode, then for picture style in DPP "Shot Settings" is available which makes the image on the DPP screen look like the out of camera JPG.

You did not say you were using one of the SCN modes, but if you are then this might be the solution.

MarkTwo
Contributor

I've downloaded ART ( Another Raw Therapee ) and am  impressed with it. 

A plethora of lens correction profiles out of the box for just about all the lenses I can think of for many systems.

And its 'neutral' profile  comes very close to raw RAW - except the reds are a bit different from DPP4. 
Not bad  but different.. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements