cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Mac :Connection software for another Canon camera is already running

rastus
Contributor

Hi,

I have just bought a Cannon XS 260HS and have no end of trouble with getting the software working with it.

Basically the camera can never connect to the Mac (Lion) 10.7.5

Whenever I plug in the Camera and turn it on I get this message from "CameraWindow DC 8"

Connection software for another Canon camera is already running. The software cannot be launched.

If I just click ok the error goes away... but nothing happens.

If I try to run ImageBroswer sx the program works.. until I try to import from camera... where I get the same error.

I have googled and discovered that this error is quite common (mostly on Mac's)... yet to find a good fix although someone did say that by rebooting their Mac every time it *seemed* to work... I am in no mood to reboot my mac every time I wish to plug in my camera (assuming that works).

Latest version of all apps installed (from the CD and then from the internet).

Help..

10 REPLIES 10

Mykolas
Authority

Hi rastus!

Thanks for the post.  If CameraWindow is set to automatically launch when the camera is connected, yet it or other software is already running, you may receive a message like the one you are seeing.  Please make sure that CameraWindow and any other image software is not running in the background before connecting your camera.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I am unable to see how to disable CameraWindow from launching because whenever I try to open it, I get one of the following 2 errors.

If no Camera is attached - Error - no camera attached

If my camera is attached - Connection software for another Canon camera is already running. The software cannot be launched.

Basically I really am about to give up on using the software...  the OSX (Lion) version seems to not work on my mac at all

(Uninstalled and Reinstalled it a couple of times to give it a chance).

I might try your offer of the 'Contact Us" option.

Thanks

actually... since I'm in Australia.. that option is not available to me...

Has anyone else had the same problem I am having using OSX (Lion) with the CameraWindow ?

I am 99.9% certain that CameraWindow is not running until I plug in my Cannon... (looking @ the Activity Monitor that app only appears after the camera is plugged in)

hi - me too. Anyone else getting the same?

I am pretty much ready to give up on this... shame, as the software seems ok.

If only we had a Mac (OSX Lion) expert to explain what the problem is...

Hello rastus and nicko!
Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry! We appreciate your participation. The Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for the US market. If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs. Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Hi Stephen,

thanks for the welcolme.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the sx260hs (Powershot) is, indeed, a model that is manufactured for the US market.

If that's not the case then I do apologise for spamming the forum with a question about a Cannon model that is not relevent to the forum.

I will leave the forum and look elsewhere for support.

If, however, the model is available in America, then the problem is not just for us Oceanana (Australian) buyers of Cannon...

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike!

Since the Forums are hosted, moderated and supported by Canon USA, we can only offer official support for products purchased and used here in the US. Given the technical nature of what we do, we don't know what hurdles we might come up against with software and hardware differences. If your product was purchased in Oceanana, we'd suggest you contact Canon in your country for detailed support because they'll know the ins-and-outs of your specific product, its bundled software and any differences in your OS that there might be from the versions used here in the US. 

If your product was purchased here in the US, please feel free to CONTACT US for support. 

And as I stated before, feel free to discuss any Canon product purchased anywhere worldwide, we just can't support it officially unless it is was purchased and is used here in the US. Perhaps someone else in our Forum Community there in Australia has had the same issue and can help you out? Both of the posts in this thread are by people in your corner of the globe, so it very well could be a localized issue that Canon Support in Australia or Apple in Australia might be able to help you with!

Either way, we hope this gets resolved for you!

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your information. I didn't read the subject line close enough - I have a Powershot ELPH520HS that was purchased in the USA.

(i read the other section - about "another device ......")

How do i best progress?

Announcements