cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of standalone Lightroom

John_SD
Whiz

Now that Adobe has announced there will be no further support for standalone Lightroom, what product will you be using in the future?

As stated on Peta Pixel: "Adobe is also announcing that Lightroom 6 will be the last standalone version of Lightroom that you can purchase once and use forever. There won’t be any Lightroom 7, and if you’d like to use the latest and greatest Lightroom updates and features, you’ll need to start paying regular subscriptions (just like with Photoshop CC). Lightroom 6 will no longer be updated after 2017, so you’ll find that newer cameras of the future will not be supported."

Adobe claims that photographers have "demanded" this change LOL  I mean, who wouldn't want to pay a monthly subscription fee for the rest of their life. I believe it is more likely that stockholders have demanded it. Be that as it may, DPP is looking better and better now. YMMV. 

17 REPLIES 17

@ScottyP wrote:

Bad enough I have years worth of images processed in their system. Now they think I am going to upload all my images to them so they will hold them for me, ransoming them for $9.99/ month for now, but doubtless more and more, forever.  

I think they went went too far this time. They can squeeze existing users for more money and please their shareholders (myself included) for the short term gain but how will they lure new casual users into that lifetime monthly obligation?  They are cutting off their entry point for new users. This gives their competitors a big chance. 

I bought ADBE stock when this subscription thing started, guessing this would be a quick cash flow boost. Ive made more than enough money in Adobe stock in less than a year to buy a 1dx2 and a nice lens or two (though I haven't done so) and still I am pi$$ed. 

Are you saying they force you to use their cloud service and can actually impound your pictures? I can't imagine anybody going along with that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic CC are completely separate products.  

Lightroom 6 will no longer automatically look for updates, and no future updates should be expected.  Lightroom 6 works with Adobe Camera Raw, and it can process DNG files created by the independent DNG Converter application.  

As of this moment, I can read RAW files created by the EOS 6D Mark II, which is arguably Canon’s latest DSLR body, which is much newer than the EOS-1dx Mark II.  

Whether or not LR6 will work with future releases of ACR is unclear.  Currently, Photoshop CS6E does not work with ACR beyond release 9.1.  But, you can still use it because the DNG converter automatically translates the RAW file to DNG for you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

John_SD
Whiz
Their business model regarding the various Lightrooms is a mess and a lot of photographers are mightily ticked off. I, for one, will stick with DPP for now.

@John_SD wrote:
Their business model regarding the various Lightrooms is a mess and a lot of photographers are mightily ticked off. I, for one, will stick with DPP for now.

So will I, but I would've anyway. I prefer the way that DPP handles corrections to RAW files over the way that Lightroom does it. And I don't really need LR's cataloguing system.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

DPP4 seems to do a fine job for me, but it can be stubborn and frustratingly slow sometimes on my Win7 desktop. But several months ago DxO offered a free download of an older version of OpticsPro (9) which was more than current enough to work with my 60d.

There's a bit of learning curve coming from DPP4 but so far I've been more than pleased with the results. It even has a few features and functions that the Canon software doesn't and for me it runs consistently smoother and faster.

http://???.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-opticspro

The current version is OpticsPro 11 and seems to run from $130 to $200 between the basic and deluxe versions. And of course you can download a free trial version for a "test drive".

They are giving away DXO Optics 11 Essentials edition for free at the moment http://www.dxo.com/us/practicalphotography

I prefer DPP4s output but DXO 11 runs much better on my computer.

woodsy wrote:

They are giving away DXO Optics 11 Essentials edition for free at the moment http://www.dxo.com/us/practicalphotography

I prefer DPP4s output but DXO 11 runs much better on my computer.

Thanks for the heads-up on the OpticsPro 11 offer. DPP4 does produce good results. It can just be frustrating about how quickly and predictably it will do so on certain computers. But if you're willing to spend some time learning your way around DxO OpticsPro I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

OpticsPro 9, and I imagine OpticsPro 11, opens by default with an almost overwhelming assortment of tools in the RH tool palette. Some are very specialized and may not get used frequently, but they're there if you need them.

But if you look in the Settings or Preferences menu, I think you'll find a way to customize the program so that it will open with only the tools of your choosing. And I believe you can even move the tools up and down in the tool palette in whatever order you find most logical.

I've not not spent much time trying to do this customization yet, but as I find myself using OpticsPro more frequently I think it will be worth the effort.

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I never lease software when I can purchase it, I paid $120.00 for LR 6, I refuse to use cloud storage and I refuse to pay a monthly fee, although I love the program, we are not one big happy family, it took 6 months for LR to add the lens profile for the 16-35 f2. 8L III
There is no real value to the end user for leasing, only income, unfortunately this is the way of the future, fortunately I purchased it and it will remain a viable product.
Word to the wise... Adobe is notorious for disguising and update only to find out it was a trial upgrade and they uninstalled your previous version, this happened to me with Adobe acrobat, took a week to get my previous version back, the technicians excuse was that Adobe wants us all to have the latest greatest version.
I still also use Paint Shop Pro, still a good program.
Announcements