cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR: uninstall.xml Files Missing from Multiple Canon Utilities

charlesrkiss
Contributor

I'm trying to get DPP4 to work again (reinstall). However, I get error messages that I can't uninstall DPP4, and various other Canon Utilities because the uninstall.xml file is missing, eg., the following Canon Utilities:

• Digital Photo Professional 4
  • EOS Lens Registration Tool
  • EOS Sample Music, and 
  • Picture Style Editor

I've read all four pages of the link below, tried a few methods there, as well as other methods (to uninstall DPP4 for several hours), but nothing is working.

If this is any clue, when DPP4 opened, it was stuck on Remote Shooting, and the window was "(Not Responding)" on WIndows 10, HP EliteBook. One way or another, DPP4 has been broken for months.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Canon-Digital-Photo-Professional-wouldn-t-start-after-th...

TIA

9 REPLIES 9

Ray-uk
Whiz

Make an internet search for the program "Revo Uninstaller" (free version), install this on your computer then run this, select DPP in the Revo menu and click on uninstall. This will get rid of DPP and all associated files.

@Ray-uk wrote:

Make an internet search for the program "Revo Uninstaller" (free version), install this on your computer then run this, select DPP in the Revo menu and click on uninstall. This will get rid of DPP and all associated files.

In addition to Ray-UK's suggestion, I often use the microsoft equivlent which has proven to be reliable as well.:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-instal...

One or the other should help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, I tried that but Windows couldn't find it. It later asked me for a product code, but I couldn't find one (a string of about 15-20 digits).

I've tried to install some updates, and I have the original CD that came with the camera. Any idea where I can find the code?

I'll keep looking. Thank you.

@charlesrkiss wrote:

Thanks, I tried that but Windows couldn't find it. It later asked me for a product code, but I couldn't find one (a string of about 15-20 digits).

I've tried to install some updates, and I have the original CD that came with the camera. Any idea where I can find the code?

I'll keep looking. Thank you.

The Canon software does not ask you for a Product Code.  The Canon software only asks you for a camera serial number when you try to download it from their Camera specific Support Pages.  

MS Windows will ask you for a 20 character "Product Code" when you upgrade Windows, or it determines that your copy of Windows is not an officially licensed copy that has never been registered.  Tread carefully.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the ambiguity.

My understanding was that Mircrosoft was asking for the product code of the DPP4 program I was trying to uninstall. I have a an official pre-installed Windows 10 OS that came with the HP laptop.

It would be funny, however, if I entered the Windows 10 product code, and it uninstalled the OS. That would make my day, I would be laughing so hard.

Okay, thank you. I'll take a look into this one and report back. Thanks.

I uninstalled all my Canon software (using Revo when required, thanks). Maybe Adobe Bridge is interfering, idk. I recall having installed Adobe Bridge after not being able to run DPP4 for the first time.

I spent hours uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, checking options, disabling scripts, etc., and the furthest I got is where I had DDP4 working to extent previously (using the CD), ie., open, stuck on Remote Shooting, but not working or showing thumbnails. When I tried updating to 4.12, it completely broke.

It's pretty sad because I really liked the program. It hasn't been working for months. Maybe Canon is giving up on software, nowadays. I've seen this before from companies who decide to stick with they're more profitable hardware products. 

I have an HP docking station that I use for an added display, perhaps that's something. I should have disconnected all my other displays before I spent those hours above. I'm not sure I have time to go through that anytime soon.

I also had some CanoScan program for a Lide80, that maybe was doing something. There are still files on my computer after trying to delete it, I can't remember where I saw them, but it was surprising.

The Remote Shooting feature in DPP4 uses the EOS Utility 3 graphical user interface.  If you have not installed EOSU 3, then the Remote Shooting feature has no GUI to call up.  If you are running an AMD CPU, then that might be part of the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had the EOS Utitlity up and running, that actually worked. I was able to take some live shots with it.

I would close the program, hoping that would kickstart DPP4, somehow. But it was the same, unable to open any images, or view thumbnails, or open an edit window, etc. Now, it won't even open after trying an update to DPP 4.12.

But yeah, that EOS Uitlity live shot interface is pretty cool. It still works.

I have an HP Elitebook 850 G5 with an Intel i7-8550U CPU, AMD Radeon RX 540 GPU.

Announcements