cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS3 utility USB connection fails on Win10/Ryzen - wireless normal

SoulsCollective
Contributor

Hi folks,

Our firm has just upgraded our AV machine to an AMD Threadripper 2 2950X/Gigabyte X399 from an older Intel 5960X/Asus x99. Huge (and greatly appreciated) speed boost in everything we do, but can no longer connect a 5D Mk IV via USB connection. Software environment is a fresh install of Win10 Pro x64, v1809.

• If EOS3 utility open and running before connecting camera, the main window flickers briefly before red text 'Connection lost' appears and the main window becomes unresponsive. The camera screen continues to show the 'Connected to PC' icon.
  • If the EOS3 utility is not open before connecting camera, upon connection the black EOS3 splash screen appears, but the application then hangs - a spinning cursor appears before eventually Windows detects that the app has crashed and it greys out about three minutes later.
  • When connected via USB and accessed via Windows Explorer, the camera is recognised by Windows and the directory structure of the CF card can be browsed, but Explorer immediately crashes and closes the window if the DCIM folder is opened.
  • EOS3 running on the same machine can connect to and download files from the camera via wifi connection flawlessly, with no bugs or other undesired behaviour. The problems occur purely when connected via USB.

Attempted troubleshooting steps:

• Disable wifi on camera - no change
  • All USB ports - no change
  • All other USB devices disconnected (except mouse and KB) - no change
  • Uninstall and reinstall of EOS utilities from latest online version
  • Uninstall and reinstall of EOS utilities provided on-disc with camera
  • Verify that USB connection possible to older Intel-based machine using same cable - performs as expected
  • Uninstall all Windows driver entries for camera - Windows detects new device on next USB connection and reinstalls - no change

This problem appears localised to the new Ryzen-based production environment, as the EOS3 utility and camera are able to sucessfully connect via USB on the older Haswell-E Intel machine and, as a test, on a new-out-of-box Surface Pro 4.

Any further suggestions or troubleshooting steps to attempt would be greatly appreciated, as we shoot purely in large-format RAW and so the file transfer times via wifi are cripplingly slow and seriously frustrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Firmware update 1.3.3 solved the USB 3 problem with AMD Ryzen processor. Today I upgraded my camera and connecting to USB 3 works flawless

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

@DaveSpittle wrote:

Thanks for this. I literally received my new Ryzen 7 laptop this morning and I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I've been on to Canon but they don't know either. I'll have to keep checking back for update.

Thanks for doing the digging for us all

I think they were being polite.  The hardware prerequisites for most of the Canon apps call for an Intel chipset.  AMD is not officially supported.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That is not correct - neither the 5D Mark IV itself nor the specifications for EOS Utilities or other essential software lists an Intel chipset as a 'hardware prerequisite'. Instead, the only minimum requirements listed for the camera itself are "Windows 7 (excl. Starter Edition) Windows 8 and Windows 10OS X v10.7-10.11", while the hardware requirements for the EOS Utility are given as "CPU: Intel Pentium 1.6GHz or faster; RAM: 1GB or greater/2GB or greater (Windows 10 64-bit / Windows 8.1 64-bit / Windows 7 64-bit)".

These hardware requirments are satisfied by every CPU produced by either manufacturer since the Northwood series of Pentium 4 released in 2002. At no point is chipset compatibliity mentioned.

@SoulsCollective wrote:

That is not correct - neither the 5D Mark IV itself nor the specifications for EOS Utilities or other essential software lists an Intel chipset as a 'hardware prerequisite'. Instead, the only minimum requirements listed for the camera itself are "Windows 7 (excl. Starter Edition) Windows 8 and Windows 10OS X v10.7-10.11", while the hardware requirements for the EOS Utility are given as "CPU: Intel Pentium 1.6GHz or faster; RAM: 1GB or greater/2GB or greater (Windows 10 64-bit / Windows 8.1 64-bit / Windows 7 64-bit)".

These hardware requirments are satisfied by every CPU produced by either manufacturer since the Northwood series of Pentium 4 released in 2002. At no point is chipset compatibliity mentioned.

"Intel Pentium". Seems pretty clear to me.  Are you even runnning Windows 7/8?  Of course, not.

"...or faster."

I don't mean to be argumentative, but there's a substantial difference between a hardware requirement of "your CPU must be more powerful than a 2002-vintage Pentium 4" and "Canon software will not run on a non-Intel chipset". Chipset =/ CPU. Outside of the very niche case of AVX512 extensions, there is nothing to distinguish software running on an Intel implementation of the x86 ISA and an AMD chip.

For starters, EOS Utility and related software runs perfectly fine on the non-Intel Apple hardware, and cameras other than the 5D Mark IV also function perfectly fine.

As per the first post in this thread, I (and the others posting here) are running WIndows 10, yes 🙂

Hello everyone, I wanted to confirm that this flaw in Canon's software (or quirky USB controller) prevents me from using the EOS Webcam Utility on my brand new Lenovo Legion 5 laptop (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, RTX 2060) with my 5D mk IV.  You have no idea how many hours I've spent troubleshooting this, reinstalling drivers, buying new USB cables, etc.  Thanks to those who are pushing this forward with AMD and Canon.  I was going to build a new Ryzen desktop to replace my 10+ yearold Intel i7-920 dekstop but this has given me pause because I work remotely and have many zoom calls throughout the day.  I hope AMD, or AMD + Canon can develop a fix, but I'm pretty disappointed that this has already been going on for 4 months and Canon still hasn't formally acknowledged the bug. It's disappointing when a company we have invested so heavily in fails to be honest and do the right thing by its most loyal customers.

I found the following:

PC  MSI motherboard with Ryzen 3900X and X570 chipset.

USB2 USB 3 type A and type C connectors

Connecting the 5D mark iv on a USB 2 port does wordt without problems.

Connecting an EOS 7D on a USB 2 and USB 3 port works fine.

Connecting a 5D mark 4 on a USB 3 does not work.

However, using a USB 2 cable in a USB 3 port works fine.

Also connecting the 5D mark 5 to a USB 3 C type connector works ok. (cable with A to C adapter)

@SoulsCollective wrote:

"...or faster."

I don't mean to be argumentative, but there's a substantial difference between a hardware requirement of "your CPU must be more powerful than a 2002-vintage Pentium 4" and "Canon software will not run on a non-Intel chipset". Chipset =/ CPU. Outside of the very niche case of AVX512 extensions, there is nothing to distinguish software running on an Intel implementation of the x86 ISA and an AMD chip.

For starters, EOS Utility and related software runs perfectly fine on the non-Intel Apple hardware, and cameras other than the 5D Mark IV also function perfectly fine.

As per the first post in this thread, I (and the others posting here) are running WIndows 10, yes 🙂

I agree.  The CPU is not the problem.  The problem is the AMD Chipset.  There is an issue with the USB ports, not the CPU

I'm not being funny but we are in 2021!!.. AMD have been going for years, the Ryzen chips are the equivelent of the Intel chips nowadays so I would have bet my life on the Canon Utilty VERSION 3 would not have a problem running on the latest of pc's.

I could understand if we were on version 1 or maybe even version 2 but come on.. Canon need to get with the times

After trying everything, finally got it to download from my Canon 5DIV using my USB 2.0 port on the PC. I am using an AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX Processor. I did not in this case use the Canon software.

The problem is related to the AMD USB-3 high speed buss, so connecting to a USB-2 port or using a hub seems to work.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements