cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility High CPU Usage on Mac Sonoma

Ablongro
Contributor

I have a MacBook Pro with the intel chip and with the latest version of Mac Sonoma. 
After spending a few hours getting the webcam utility up and running via the many workarounds offered between Apple and Canon now there is a much larger issue. 

The webcam utility software has a background task labeled EWCService that run when the software is started. This takes an absurd amount of CPU usage to the point that my fans kick on and stay running the whole time which is very loud. I attached photos below to show percentage usages. 

I am not sure why this much CPU usage is needed for a simple camera connection?
But I am once again back to the drawing board and not able to use my Canon camera as a webcam. Any suggestions from Canon on when an actual fix for the latest Apple update will be available? Apple says they work with third party company's to ensure they arent that far behind when these release's come out but it seems Canon is always dropping the ball. 

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 11.22.41.pngScreenshot 2023-12-14 at 11.22.54.png

2 REPLIES 2

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings Ablongro,

We've submitted your feedback regarding the issue you state you're experiencing with the processor usage from one of the items that's installed with the EOS Webcam Utility. In the meantime, you may test to see if this issue occurs when testing the software on a different Apple computer. This may help to determine if there is something on your primary computer that is causing for the above service to use a lot of the computer's processing power.

ummmm. I don't know what kind of life you have but I can only afford one MacBook computer and it was $4000. I don't have another one just laying around I can test on? 
I have a MacBook with an AMD Radeon Pro 5500 Graphics processor. Could it be that the Canon software is being updated to support the apple silicon chips instead? 

Announcements