cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility will not install on Mac with Big Sur 11.6.3

rsmacleod
Apprentice

Hi Canon/Mac Friends,

I have two Mac's both running OS X 11.6.3 (latest version of Big Sur) and each time I try to install the latest EOS Utility app, I cannot get beyond the Extracting Files stage.  I see the same for both the 3.13.20 and 3.15.0 versions of the EOS Utility.  

The two Macs are quite different hardware

1) Mac Mini 2020 with the M1 chip
2) Macbook Pro 2019, Intel i7

So I assume the problem is less related to hardware (yes, I have read about the M1 problems) and more to the OS level (11.6)?

Are there any tricks to getting this app to install?  Which version of the app should I be focusing on?

I want to use my M50 for streaming video content for recording and for Zoom et al.

Thanks in advance for all your guidance!

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for this.  For some reason, I rarely end up at the right website when I go looking for M50 downloads but this link is fabulous.  I was able to download the Webcam Utility (version 1.0) and it did, indeed, install just fine.  I am still interested in a version of the EOS Utility as I have never been able to robustly move photos from the camera to my computer (other than via the memory card).  The IOS app seems to work better and I have had at least some success there.  

Thanks,
Rob

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Check if you need to authorize access to Files and Folders in the Security page of System Preferences.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi rsmacleod,

One thing to check are the security settings in your system preferences as jrhoffman75 mentioned. Another would be to try opening the compressed folder using the Finder. Try opening finder, set it to either List or Column view, and try opening the compressed folder in there. When it opens the contents should be listed either below or to the side of the compressed folder. Sometimes when double clicking the download doesn't open the file it will open this way.

Another thing to double check is the software you are installing. The version you listed is for our import software named EOS Utility. That will import photos and videos you already took and it will let you remotely control the camera through your computer. The conferencing/streaming software is a different download named EOS Webcam Utility.

The EOS Webcam Utility hasn't been fully updated for OS 11 yet, but you can use the OS 10.15 version. That is available here: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca... . Once you are on the web page click on the gray Drivers and Downloads button and you will see an operating system drop down. Click on that and select macOS Catalina v10.15. When you do that the current version is EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 macOS.

Once that is installed restart the computer to finalize the installation. When the computer is done restarting connect your camera and computer with a USB cable, open your conferencing or streaming service, and when you go to select your camera in your conferencing or streaming service you will have the option for EOS Webcam Utility. Select that and it will start using the video feed from your camera.

Thanks for this.  For some reason, I rarely end up at the right website when I go looking for M50 downloads but this link is fabulous.  I was able to download the Webcam Utility (version 1.0) and it did, indeed, install just fine.  I am still interested in a version of the EOS Utility as I have never been able to robustly move photos from the camera to my computer (other than via the memory card).  The IOS app seems to work better and I have had at least some success there.  

Thanks,
Rob

Announcements