cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility issue - Live view freeze

Corkell
Contributor

Hi. 

I have been using the live view EOS function on my 5D mark iii for years now and I have not had an issue until today. I use this in order to stream and record videos, however after around 15 minutes the live view freezes and crashes. After firing it back up I can no longer access the live view however I still have access to the shutter, ISO and files ect .... I am not sure what seems to be the issue.

Things I have tried so far; 

Reinstall everything

Use EOS 2 and not 3

Taking out the SD card

Running the 5D in photo mode

Running the 5D in video mode

I am currenly out of ideas now. I understand there is an issie with Windows 10 and EOS right now.. might that have something to do with it? I am currently running windows 10.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

Corkell
Contributor

Update;

EOS 2 is now crashing after the freeze. 

Corkell
Contributor

Update 2; 

EOS is now saying "The connection was lost" 

CPU peaks at 11% before the crash. After crash 0% CPU however 22% memory.

If you are using a grip, remove it, retest, and report back.

Hi John 

Never used a grip with it. Its on a tripod plugged into the wall.

Update 3: 

-> I have used different software and there seems to be no drop in the live view. This other software doesnt give me the recording quality I need however. Meaning that EOS 2 and 3 are making the live view drop between 15 - 20 mins.

-> Changed cables, no difference

-> Changed USB ports on PC, no difference

I am 100% sure now that it is the software that is making live view drop after the said time. Nothing else has changed and other live view software seems to work.

@Corkell wrote:

Hi John 

Never used a grip with it. Its on a tripod plugged into the wall.

Update 3: 

-> I have used different software and there seems to be no drop in the live view. This other software doesnt give me the recording quality I need however. Meaning that EOS 2 and 3 are making the live view drop between 15 - 20 mins.

-> Changed cables, no difference

-> Changed USB ports on PC, no difference

I am 100% sure now that it is the software that is making live view drop after the said time. Nothing else has changed and other live view software seems to work.

"Plugged into the wall"? Then you're using an AC adapter instead of a battery? Depending on the quality of the adapter, that could be even more problematic than a grip. If the line voltage is inconsistent, the adapter may provide an inconsistent voltage or spikes or other noise that could cause a problem. If the adapter is providing too high a voltage, it's conceivable it could cause the sensor to overheat, forcing it to shut down while it cools off. Have you tried it with a battery instead?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Robert

I did try a battery and it is still coming up with the same thing. Just tried it again there.

When the EOS software shows  'lost connection' I go around to the back on the camera and its still recording just fine. The only thing that drops seems to be the live view. Records are fine, I can play with the camera just fine and also use the menus. Would a battery issue not shut down the camera as a whole?

Also if it was a battery or cable issue wouldnt this give the same issue on the different live view software? Its working fine everywhere else apart from this software.

Thanks for your input! 

@Corkell wrote:

Hi Robert

I did try a battery and it is still coming up with the same thing. Just tried it again there.

When the EOS software shows  'lost connection' I go around to the back on the camera and its still recording just fine. The only thing that drops seems to be the live view. Records are fine, I can play with the camera just fine and also use the menus. Would a battery issue not shut down the camera as a whole?

Also if it was a battery or cable issue wouldnt this give the same issue on the different live view software? Its working fine everywhere else apart from this software.

Thanks for your input! 

I guess it depends on what the battery problem is. It all it's doing wrong is causing the sensor to overheat, that wouldn't necessarily affect the whole camera.

But I hadn't noticed that you're shooting video, That's more likely to overheat the sensor than ordinary live view. Also, it opens the possibility of card write speed issues, which can also shut down recording.

If none of our answers point somewhere useful, you may have to seek help from Canon.

Bob

the same issue here 5D mark IV it freeze after transfer 5-15 pictures
dose not matter destination
dose not matter what memory SD odr fast CF
dose not matter battery, cable or grip
install-reinstall update all the same freeze after 5-15 images transfer

@tcom wrote:
the same issue here 5D mark IV it freeze after transfer 5-15 pictures
dose not matter destination
dose not matter what memory SD odr fast CF
dose not matter battery, cable or grip
install-reinstall update all the same freeze after 5-15 images transfer

What kind of computer (including memory size, etc.)? What operating system? What version of EOSU?

Bob
Announcements