cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility compatibility with both EOS 5D Mark III and EOS R5

mikethepike
Apprentice

I just purchased a new Canon R5.

I still have my 5D Mark III.  I use Canon EOS Utility 2 to download photos from my 5D onto my Dell Computer.

Can I use this same EOS Utility 2 to download photos onto my computer?  If so, how?  I plug the R5 camera into the computer and it says it doesn't recognize my camera?

Do I need to download a different EOS Utility?

Any help with getting me started here would be appreciated.

Thanks

mikethepike

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You need EOSU3 for the R5.

Download from the Canon support site:

Canon Support for EOS R5 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

marknotmarc
Apprentice

eos utility 3 works with my r5

I am not able to get it to work with my older 5D mark 2

Hi McFall,

The EOS 5D Mark II uses EOS Utility 2. That is the only version of the software that would recognize your camera, so EOS Utility 3 will not work for your model. We no longer update EOS Utility 2, so it will not run correctly on current Windows and Mac operating systems.

For your camera we would recommend using a USB memory card reader to import photos to your computer. On a Windows computer you could use File Explorer to import the photos and on a Mac computer you could use Image Capture. Those two programs are built into your computer. If you need assistance with either File Explorer or Image Capture we would recommend contacting the maker of your operating system.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don’t believe this is totally correct Hazel. I have posted how to download and install EOSU2 via earlier (3.13 vintage) EOSU3 installers and have it running on an M2 MacBook Air macOS 14.3.2. 

I don't have an earlier cameras I can't confirm connection, but the software does startup.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

normadel
Authority
Authority

Right. EU 2 does too work on Windows including Windows 11. Mine is updated to  version 2.14.20a. It is from 2015.

Easily found at:

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1013119/~/eos-utility-2.14.20a-updater...

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements