cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Continues to Disconnect and/or Lock-Up Running Mac OS w/ R5

jonesfoto
Apprentice

I'm an advertising shooter, using an R5 with 1.7.0 firmware, tethered to an M1 MBP running 13.1, and EOS Utility 3.16.1. Cable is a TetherPro 15' USB-C. The camera writes both to a CFExpress card internally AND to my system drive as well, for redundant backup. (We could live without writing to the system drive - we use the tether mostly to judge framing and make lighting adjustments)

On a recent shoot, with talent, my crew of three, and plenty of client representatives on-site, the application lost the camera connection every few minutes. We replaced the cable with a spare, rebooted the machine, rebooted the camera, closed and re-opened the app. Nothing solved the problem.

Anybody have any information as to what might be the issue here? This kind of failure makes everybody look bad: my team, my gear, and especially CANON.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jonesfoto
Apprentice

Well, what do you know?: it's the TetherPro cable that is the culprit! These cables, which I've used for years and years, in various iterations, now including USB-C, do not have a "choke," which is the ferrite core at either end of the plug, resulting in potential interference from external EMT sources, etc. When the Canon tech suggested using the stock Canon cable - IFC-400U - I was VERY skeptical, but whatever... I bought two, did some testing, and had ZERO connection issues, using the same MBP, camera body, and firmware/software iterations as previously. They're not especially cheap, and they're definitely not pretty, but I'll be damned if they don't do the trick!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michaelgrey0369
Apprentice

Similar issue. I have a EOS R6 with a TetherPro cable. When I connect my r6 to my laptop to check out photos as i take them from a shoot it constantly losses connection and freezes my camera. I have found several threads listing same type issues but no solutions. I have uninstalled and installed the latest EOSU 3.16 and still same outcome.

jonesfoto
Apprentice

The tech I talked to thought it important for me to try the Canon USB-C cable designed for these cameras. I would suggest that that’s a ridiculous idea, except that they DO have clamshells, one at each end, so maybe there is some kind of resistance issue that comes into play. I’m not a cabling expert. Other than that, the advice was to install the EOS Utility app on another machine, and to make sure that WiFi was disabled on the camera body. I’ll try all three and get back to this forum once the cables arrive. 

jonesfoto
Apprentice

Well, what do you know?: it's the TetherPro cable that is the culprit! These cables, which I've used for years and years, in various iterations, now including USB-C, do not have a "choke," which is the ferrite core at either end of the plug, resulting in potential interference from external EMT sources, etc. When the Canon tech suggested using the stock Canon cable - IFC-400U - I was VERY skeptical, but whatever... I bought two, did some testing, and had ZERO connection issues, using the same MBP, camera body, and firmware/software iterations as previously. They're not especially cheap, and they're definitely not pretty, but I'll be damned if they don't do the trick!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements