Laptop with Windows 10 Home with USB 3.1 port

Canon EOS 5D4 

Canon EOS 7D2

I installed latest versions of EOS utility

Laptop with USB 3.1:

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 5D4 and I can download photos from it

Desktop with USB 3.1:

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 7D2 and I can download photos

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 5D4, but stops at Splash Screen - this is the problem I cannot solve

Desktop with  USB 2.0:

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 5D4 and I can download photos

EOS Utility only does not work on the USB 3.1 port with my Canon EOS 5D4. 

I have read through dozens of forums. I uninstalled and re-installed EOS utlity sefveral times. I have upgraded to the latest firmware on the Canon EOS 5D4

I have checked the firmware of the USB ports. This is good and it shows it works well with EOS 7D2. 

I am a bit lost how to proceed. Does anyone have any suggestion?

16 REPLIES 16

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Not sure my experience will help but maybe it is something to try.  I use ethernet instead of USB to connect my 1DX series cameras to my Win 10 Pro desktop workstation and after a Windows update about a year ago I found that EOS utility will sometimes freeze on the splash screen. 

To avoid this problem, instead of allowing EOS utility to launch automatically at computer startup (the default setup) I have mine set to launch manually and I first connect the camera and THEN launch EOS utility.  This always works perfectly for me but interestingly once I have connected one of the cameras (I  have 1DX, 1DX II, and 1DX III bodies) and manually launched the utility I can then connect another body or the same one a second time during that Windows session without problem.  But If EOS utility is allowed to start automatically and left running before a camera is connected then the freeze occurs.  This occurred after a Windows update, not after any change to EOS utility. 

It may not be applicable to your situation using USB and that is especially odd that it only fails with USB 3.1 on one camera but with Windows 10 I am not surprised by any stupid OS behavior because it is an unmitigated disaster from the start and continues to generate problems for many users.  I have used every version of Windows from the initial versions that basically just ran on top of PC-DOS along with various flavors of Unix and I have never seen such a glitchy OS as Win 10 and hope that I never do again. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi Rodger,

Thank you for your feedback. Great suggestion and I have tried it. I even tried another option.

I have a U-Tap HDMI device which allows me to stream video from the EOS 5D4. When I connect that to a USB 3 port, it works very fine. The EOS5D4 is recognized and I can stream video without problems. While EOS 5D4 is connected through U-Tap on one USB 3 port (which occupies the HDMI slot in the camera), I use the USB slot in the camera to connect to a 2nd USB 3 port on my desktop. Unfortunately that does not work.

I have tried to follow your suggestions below and disabling automatic start-up. I have also tried connection EOS7D2 on one USB 3 port (which works) and then connection EOS5D4 to a 2nd USB 3 port. Too bad, no luck for me.

I have had occasions that the splash screen does not freeze and I get the Utility opened. But all options are greyed out, except the 4th option in the list "Monitored Folder". 

Another case:

So when I have launched EOS Utility while EOS 5D4 not turned on, I get the list of 4 options with the first three greyed out. When I connect and turn on the EOS 5D4, the EOS Utility says "Camera not recognized". 

I have tried to uninstall the camera through the Device manager. It is nicely listed as "Portable Device" with name "Canon EOS 5D mark IV". So the system recognizes it under this name. After re-installing, EOS Utility again says "Camera not recognized". 

A bit weird and still no acceptable solution

I can work with the USB 2.0 port, but that is slower.

I can remove the SD/CF cards and have them read through a card reader on USB 3. Also that works. But it is a bit of hassle. 

I thus prefer to use the EOS Utility as I also allows me remote shooting. 

I keep looking for a solution.

Thanks again,

@Carel1 wrote:

Hi Rodger,

Thank you for your feedback. Great suggestion and I have tried it. I even tried another option.

I have a U-Tap HDMI device which allows me to stream video from the EOS 5D4. When I connect that to a USB 3 port, it works very fine. The EOS5D4 is recognized and I can stream video without problems. While EOS 5D4 is connected through U-Tap on one USB 3 port (which occupies the HDMI slot in the camera), I use the USB slot in the camera to connect to a 2nd USB 3 port on my desktop. Unfortunately that does not work.

I have tried to follow your suggestions below and disabling automatic start-up. I have also tried connection EOS7D2 on one USB 3 port (which works) and then connection EOS5D4 to a 2nd USB 3 port. Too bad, no luck for me.

Thanks again,

I think I see the problem.  You are attempting to make multiple simultaneous  connections to a single camera, and multiple connections to multiple cameras simultaneously.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and answer it. 

I have tried connecting and starting EOS Utility with one camera connected. And most of the times, I follow that protocol. After Rodger feedback, I have also tried to connect two camera's, but also only the EOS 54D4 through the HDMI->USB connection and the USB -> USB connection. But those were exceptional connections and trials to do it differently.

Somehow it remains weird that either the EOS Utility does not proceed after the Splash screen or that it says it cannot recognize the camera (while device manager is able to detect it as EOS 5D4).

Carel

Carel,

Sorry that didn't work for you!  I don't like pulling cards in and out of my cameras so I use Ethernet with the 1DX series bodies and USB with my 5DS R.  I am fairly confident a future version of Windows 10 update will break my current system.  After that prior update, in order to get the camera to connect via EOS utility I had to run the initial camera network wizard every time from the body which takes a couple of minutes to negotiate the connection.

Good luck on finding a solution.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Carel1,

Let's set aside the HDMI-USB converter cable for the moment, and unplug it from the camera.  Let's reduce the number of variables.  You have many sources of problems, and we need to isolate what it could be.  

Let's try just the USB cable connection and only one camera connecting to the computer.  

BTW, what type of computer?  Who makes it?  Are you using a USB port expander?  If so, stop using it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,

Thank you for helping to investigate this step-by-step.

Desktop is self-built: Asus Prime X570-PRO mobo. ASMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor

I am not using a USB port expander. I connect directly to USB ports on the back of the motherboard or through the front ports of the Midi Tower 

USB 2.0 ports + EOS 5D4: EOS Utlity works fine

USB 3.1 ports + EOS 7D2: EOS Utility works fine

USB 3.1 ports + EOS 5D4: EOS Utility does not work and gives message Camera not recognized

But according Device Manager, the computer recognizes it as Canon EOS 5D4

Also the program USBDeview says that the Camera and USB are connected, identifies it as EOS 5D4.

It looks as if everything is fine, except for the EOS Utility interface.

Any new ideas?

Thanks,
Carel

adam76
Apprentice

@Carel1 wrote:

Following is my situation:

Desktop with USB 3.1:

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 7D2 and I can download photos

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 5D4, but stops at Splash Screen - this is the problem I cannot solve

Desktop with  USB 2.0:

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 5D4 and I can download photos

EOS Utility only does not work on the USB 3.1 port with my Canon EOS 5D4. 

Hello Carel.

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the exact same issue as you. EOS Utility stalls at the splash screen when using USB 3.1, but launches successfully when using USB 2.0

Camera: Canon 5D Mk IV

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-EX

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X

Hello Adam,

Thanks for reaching out with a problem similar as mine. 

Unfortunately I was not able to solve this problem. Sorry I can not be of help to you.

If you have a way to resolve it, i am happy to learn your solution to this.

Good luck,

Carel

Announcements