cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 "Lost Connection" in Live Shooting

Bob9
Contributor

I have been shooting in "Live Shooting" mode in EU3 for the past few years with no problem. I recently purchased a new laptop which runs Windows 11. When I try using Live shooting it freezes with the message ""Lost Connection" On a few occasions I have managed to fire off half a dozen shots but the result is the same, sometimes I don't get to fire off one.

I have tried several cords at different lengths (30cm) (1m) & (2m) with no luck. I have downloaded the latest version of EU3 which is currently version 3:15:20:4

Would anyone be kind enough to offer some advice as to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance

Bob

6 REPLIES 6

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Bob9,

The live view shooting through EOS Utility 3 should work on Windows 11 and you do have the correct version for that operating system. Since the same thing is happening with multiple cables that likely isn't the issue. Once related thing to double check is to make sure to try a different USB port on the computer in addition to different cables. Sometimes there can be an issue with the port on the computer and that can cause issues like this.

One other thing to double check is to install the EOS Utility on a different computer and check to see if the same thing happens there. That can help narrow down if the issue is with the camera itself or if it is with the computer. If the same thing happens on a different computer that indicates there's an issue with the port on the camera. In that case what model camera do you have?

Thank you so much for your reply Hazel, I really appreciate it.

I have tried 3 different ports on the laptop with no difference.

I have EU3 installed on my old laptop running windows 10 with no issues.

I have a Canon 5D MKIV

The only thing I could come up with is that new laptops these days don't have USB ports anymore which is extremely annoying, my new laptop has 3 C ports therefore I have to connect my cables (with USB connection) to a C-adaptor to fit the C port on my laptop. Perhaps this is where there is a malfunction? Perhaps I need to source a cable that has the camera fitting one end and C-connector on the other end thus eliminating the USB? Just trying to think outside the square.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Bob9,

Since the connection isn't dropping on your older computer that indicates the cable and camera are working correctly. If the port adapter is malfunctioning, or if it doesn't have a solid connection, it could cause issues like this. It would be good to try a different port adapter, or to get a cable that can go from the cameras SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port to a Type-C port. We do not sell USB adapters or a SuperSpeed to USB type-C cable through Canon so there aren't specific ones we can recommend through Canon Support.

Thanks for your help, I will try the SuperSpeed USB 3 (Micro B) to Type-C cable option and see if this fixes the problem. Fingers crossed.

Bob9
Contributor

After purchasing a cord that has a USB Micro B (Canon camera port) at one end and a Type-C (Laptop port) at the other end, I found that the connection did not drop out. 

Bob9
Contributor

After my last post I did continue to lose connection when shooting in live view mode until I stumbled on the latest firmware for EOS 5D MK IV, it states as follows

Firmware Version 1.3.3 incorporates the following fixes and enhancement.

1. Improves the camera’s connectivity to a PC when using a USB 3.0 or higher compatible cable.
  2. Fixes an issue in which self-timer shooting cannot be performed (for cameras with Firmware Versions 1.3.1 and 1.3.2.)
  3. Fixes an issue in which an electronic beep does not sound when registering an AF frame as the AF start position (for cameras with Firmware Versions 1.3.1 and 1.3.2).
  4. Fixes an issue in which a small sound is generated from the speaker when the power is turned on (for cameras with Firmware Version 1.3.2).
Announcements