cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 doesn't work with Ventura 13.0 via Cable

darrencoleman
Contributor

I can connect EOS Utility to a Mac running 12.5.1 (Monterrey) but not my new Mac running Ventura V13 on Apple M2 Max processor. 

I've been in touch with Canon Customer Support they advised:"It seems that the camera cannot be connected with a cable when using a Mac with the Ventura OS. However, you can connect the camera via Wi-Fi using the EOS Utility software."

Wifi connectivity where I work isn't great so I used ethernet - hence WiFi isn't an option. 

Has anyone found a solution to this? 

No USB connectivityNo USB connectivityNo ability to change Image capture settings.No ability to change Image capture settings.

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Buy a Windows PC.  The Canon software breaks every time Apple upgrades their OS, which is typically 3-4 times per year.  Mac users have face this issue for years and will continue to do so.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Which camera are you trying to connect?  Does it have Bluetooth?  Most cameras with Bluetooth have instructions that tell you to initiate a wireless connection via Bluetooth, which automates the Wi-Fi hot spot setup.

BTW, what you wrote above is not exactly how the built-in Wi-Fi works.  The camera creates its own Wi-Fi hotspot, but that means the your Mac will not be connected to the Internet when the camera connection is active.

Also, the built-in Wi-Fi connectivity is SLOW.  Your camera is not fully networkable.  The Wi-Fi is most useful for connecting to mobile devices, not a computer.  The USB connection if the preferred method to connect to a computer, not Wi-Fi.  

Or, you can simply remove the memory card from the camera and use a card reader.  This is probably the most trouble-free approach.  You bypass the Canon app altogether.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm using an M50 Mk1. 

The Wifi route is too slow to be honest. 

Can you provide some more detail on the card reader point, please? I can't quite understand that. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It used to connect with the 1D X Mark III, but I just tried iut now after seeing your post and it doesn't. Must be something that developed from a macOS update.

If all you want to do is download images then Apple Image capture does connect.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John,

My Mac sees the Canon M50 camera but I can't do anything with it as I can't click on the camera icon etc (screen grab attached)?  

I'd like to use EOS utility to control the camera when I'm recording videos. 

Pretty poor show from Canon on this front.Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 08.35.33.jpg

When I connect my M200 it downloads images on the card.

Do you have Wi-Fi turned off?

Since it used to work with my 1D X and now it doesn't not sure if it's a Canon issue or an Apple issue.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Wifi is turned off. 

I can connect EOS Utility to a Mac running 12.5.1 (Monterrey) but not my new Mac running Ventura V13 on Apple M2 Max processor. 

@darrencoleman wrote:

Wifi is turned off. 

That's my EOSU experience today w/Ventura. Not sure why your M50 won't download via Image capture since both my cameras do.

Depending on how important it is to you to have capability now (vs waiting for a possible fix) there is an app called Kuuvik Capture that may work with your M50 for camera control.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I have Intel hardware, but I have read that Ventura added new USB security features. There are settings menus on machines with the M1 chip that I do not see on my machine with the Intel chip.

Also, at one point I fixed a similar problem by removing the Canon apps, deleting the folder for the Canon apps, downloading the Canon apps again and installing them again. It seems to me that some of the software permissions are only granted when the software is being installed.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/allow-accessories-to-connect-mchlf779ae93/mac

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements