cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 does not recognize EOS 70D

pnordestgaard
Apprentice

My EOS 70D is not recognized by EOS Utility 3.

I can connect my camera to my computer and access it through EOS Utility 2 as expected, but when trying to "force" start EOS Utility 3 (double click on "EOS Utility 3.exe" in the EU3 folder) I just get a message saying "Camera is not recognized"

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the EOS Utility program with no effect.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get this solved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Your camera is not supported by EOSU3.

Screenshot 2021-04-11 062204.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Your camera is not supported by EOSU3.

Screenshot 2021-04-11 062204.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank You for the quick answer jrhoffman75.

I just thought so when the link where I downloaded the newest EOS Utility update, showed EOS 70D as active with EOS Utility 3.

I must have misunderstood something on the webpage.

So, I am have the latest firmware 1.1.3 on my Canon 70D. I installed EOS Utility bundle V3.15.0  on my macOS Catalina 10.15.6 and yet I get the message "Camera is not recognized", just like pnordestgaard.
I have tried multiple USB cables as well.

Now you say the 70D Camera is not supported yet the downloads page has it listed https://Canon.us/ctb9a
Although it notes that it is a "Recently Added Camera", Great! So why is it not recognized? Does "Recently added..." mean "Not compatible yet"? Could you please elaborate as to why the 70D is not recognized, especially when the Canon site is claiming the software is "Now compatible with over 40 Canon cameras", one of which the 70D?

Untitled.jpg

If possible, do you know if Canon is aware of this issue and if there is an updated version of the software coming that addresses this...or a patch? Something?

Thank you for any further information that you can provide. If I can get this to work it will be a godsend.

E

Hello.

Despite what the support page states, the manual doesn't list the 70D as compatible and your experience bears that out..

Screenshot 2022-04-09 060650.jpg

You need to use EOSU2. The installer should have installed it along with EOSU3.

Go into you Applications folder, find Canon Utilities and open that folder. You should see a folder for EOS Utility. Open that folder and you will see EU3 and EU2 folders., Open EU2 and run EOS Utility 2.

The EOS Utility launcher should start the appropriate version, depending on the camera it sees, but that doesn't always work.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you for that. That helps.

Would you happen to know if this is being addressed for future versions?
Do you know of any workarounds or 3rd party software that can recognize the 70D for this purpose?

Thanks again for the detailed explanation.

E

Glad to help. What do you want to do that EOSU2 doesn’t do?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The ability of other software (ie. Streamlabs, Discord, etc.) to detect the camera as an input device. I am not able to get any streaming programs to recognize the camera.

Would be great if there was a solution to this. Thanks.

E

I don’t have any knowledge in that area. Sorry I can’t help with that. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

lpr1024
Apprentice

A little late with a reply, but I had the same problem with my EOS 70D, but worse, I uninstalled EOS Utility 2 before I installed EOS Utility 3.  I rechecked the "support" site for EOS 70D, and Canon recommends installing EOS Utility 3.  There is nowhere on the support page Canon mentions it doesn't work with this model, nor is version 2.x available.  Sigh. My solution was to locate the EOS Digital Solution Disk (version 33.3A for Windows): EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 33.3A for Windows (id.canon) and run the installer for version 2 of the utility (it installs version 2.4), and it worked. I left version 3 alone and a number of other apps I don't use.  Hope this helps somebody!

Announcements