cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS T7i lens firmware update issues

IdahoCamoGuy
Contributor

Hello all, so just today I was updating my EOS 80D and our two EOS T7i’s. Firmware updates for all three cameras went well with zero issues. I then went to update the lens firmware for both T7i’s and with the SD card in I would select the lens firmware update and the screen would go blank and then back to the menu. I could not get either camera to take the lens firmware updates at all. Any help with what might be wrong would be great. Using a Mac and the correct file and a good SD card.

thanks in advance,

IdahoCamoGuy

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

What lens are you trying to update the firmware on?

You may have to put the lenses on the 80D to update its firmware. Try formatting the SD card in the camera before copying the firmware file on it. Make sure that only the lens firmware file is on the root of the SD card, not the camera's firmware file also.

The standard firmware file was removed from the card and it was then again formatted. I did however have just some standard lenses on the two T7i’s and not our Canon 100-400 zoom lens. I will try later today again with no lens on the body and if that doesn’t work then I’ll try it with the lens on. I’ll report back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You will need to have the lens mounted on the camera. I was suggesting doing the lens firmware upgrade using the 80D camera. Whichever lens that you want to update the firmware on, has to be mounted on the camera. You will be transferring the new firmware to the lens itself, so it needs to be mounted on the camera. Once the lens is updated, you don't need to do it again to use on another camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

When you d/l the FW and extract it there is a file included that instructs you on how to do the update. It has to be done exactly that way.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings IdahoCamoGuy,

Above you indicated you would try again with no lens on the camera.  You cannot update a lens's firmware unless its on the camera.

Let's ensure we understand what you are trying to accomplish.

What specific lens(es) are you trying to update?

Just FYI, There is no firmware available for the EF 100-400

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (canon.com)

There might have been at one time, but it does not appear to be available any longer. Link is now dead.

Canon Support | Firmware Notice: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM: Firmware Version 1.0.7 | Canon U...

shadowsports_0-1689523907357.png

So what other lenses are we talking about specifically?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a link to Canon's webpage that has the firmware download for the EF 100-400MM F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens, if in fact this is the lens that the OP has. https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/ef-100-400mm-f-4-5-5-6l-is-ii-usm 

It is still available from that page under the software and drivers section.

You are correct.

Well seeing that the update just for this one lens doesn’t amount to anything major, I’m going to forget it. The firmware for all three bodies update just fine and I’ll leave it at that. Thanks all for help. I really do appreciate it and the fast responses. 

thanks again,

IdahoCamoGuy

So there is an update for my lens. Currently the firmware on our T7i’s is 1.0.6 and the last updated firmware is 1.0.7 as seen in the image attached. So formatted the card, put the file right in the main directory and when I select update the lens firmware on the camera with the correct lens the update screen goes black as soon as I select update. 

IMG_9806.jpeg

Announcements