cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Which firmware update should I get?

iaokie
Contributor

So how can I tell which updates are necessary for my camera 

Could I download firmware that I really don't need for my type of photography and it could interfere with performance ?

For example a firmware update that deals with online streaming and I do not do streaming is it necessary ?

Or should I just download every update that's posted for my camera and all will be ok ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes  after contacting Canon to help with the download I was told this most recent firmware includes settings for the new Rf S 10-18 mm lens so I'll be all set when I receive it hopefully soon 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Generally, firmware updates don't add new features, just fix bugs - often obscure ones at that. Read the description, if it looks like something that might affect your workflow, be very cautious about getting it. Otherwise, it is really up to you. The only reason to bring a camera up to date if the issue fixed does not affect you is if you are selling or giving away the camera.

So ones that have been recommend should be safe ?

@iaokie wrote:

So ones that have been recommend should be safe ?

Yes.

Recognize that new cameras of that model that Canon is producing today are going to have the latest firmware.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Any official update from Canon is "safe", whether you need it or not is another story.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

hi iaokie,

Firmware updates are cumulative.  If your camera is functioning well/normally you may not need to update.

The release notes tell you what an update includes.  It might add a feature, like the ability to upload to image.canon.com, or maybe address a security flaw.  Sometimes they enhance compatibility or add support for a new device, a new lens, flash, etc.  Other times it might be something as superficial as changing the layout of a menu for better readability.  

Reviewing the release notes will help you determine of you need an update or not.  Skipping one or even a few isn't a big deal either.  You don't need to have the latest firmware available.  Your camera will work fine.  Upgrade when the additions are meaningful to you, or when they add or address something.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes  after contacting Canon to help with the download I was told this most recent firmware includes settings for the new Rf S 10-18 mm lens so I'll be all set when I receive it hopefully soon 

We're glad to hear that, iaokie!  So that others with the same gear can benefit from your finding, please let us know which Canon camera model you've got.  Hope to hear back from you soon!

Yes I purchased the R7 this year in June and a Canon rep just happened to be at the store so he setup the camera for me

Very helpful 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Danny,

He's got an R7 if you'd like to update the threads title.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements