cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 The camera was disconnected during downloading in EOS Utility

Windsun33
Contributor

Has anyone ever come up with a real solution for this error from the Windows 10 version of EOS Utility? Happens with my R5 and all the latest camera and computer updates. Tethered, using the Canon R5 supplied USB-C cable on the computers power port.

This is apparently NOT a new problem - did some searching and there are posts about it going back as far as 2010. How many images it will download before the error occurs varies - sometimes just 2 or 3, ocassionally as many as 20 - but it invariably gets the error at some point.

And yes I know I can just take the cards out and plug into PC, but that is just a work around. BTW, same problem with my 6DMk2, so not just the R5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This doesn’t work.  I had 410 images to download and couldn’t get more to transfer in the EOS utility, Windows File Manager or Lightroom Classic. Even after applying this ‘fix’. The solution is to get an external CF Express card reader.  This also saves wear and tear in the camera’s USB port.  Perhaps a future firmware update will fix it, but this seems to be an actual bug in the camera.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

The problem for the OP seems to have been a USB port adapter.  Many laptops and home-brewed Windows PCs make use of them.  Try using a different USB port, preferably one that comes directly from the motherboard.

[EDIT] BTW, the OP reported the same issue with two different cameras with the same Windows computer.  

The OP’s problem is not the cameras or the Canon app.  If it were, then thousands of people would be reporting the same issue and they’re not.  Time to look at your PCs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I agree with Waddizzle here.  

Recounting the times I've transferred 300, 400 and 500+ photos in a single sitting, I have never experienced this behavior.  Multiple powershots, T6s, 6D2 and R5 C.  Using a USB cable in conjunction with the EOS Utility.  I have also used a cable and windows explorer without the EU.  I've not needed to make changes to a camera's settings either.  More recently I use a card reader 90% of the time.  

A computer with limited resources (processing power, memory, AMD chipset) outdated drivers, or using a hub could all be causes for this.  An inferior data cable, memory card quality or card with bad formatting might also be cause.   I don't have a way to reproduce this phenomenon as its never happened to me.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

romanza
Apprentice

Today is May 2023 and this problem is still ongoing. I have this problem since I bought my R7 in August 2022. It is pretty annoying. It happens on Win11, eos utility ver. 3.16.10.8, camera R7 firmware 1.3.0 connected via usb-c cable.

@romanza wrote:

Today is May 2023 and this problem is still ongoing. I have this problem since I bought my R7 in August 2022. It is pretty annoying. It happens on Win11, eos utility ver. 3.16.10.8, camera R7 firmware 1.3.0 connected via usb-c cable.

Greetings,

Since the thread's starter was using an R5 and you are using a different camera, and possibly a different operating system and hardware, etc, I would suggest starting your own thread.  

Please incluse information specific to your situation or environment.  

Hardware being used

Operating system (version and build) 

How the camera is connected and to what

Any error messages or observations that might help everyone better understand your issue.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

It’s not worth risking the camera or your images.  Get the external reader.

As I said back in 2022, a $45 CF Express card reader works well and saves a lot of wear on the camera’s usb port.  I put the SD cards from my R6 into the notebook’s built in reader and, again, no problems.  Even with the external reader, there’s a lot of heat generated when reading large numbers of massive data files and I suspect that this is the problem. The camera is shutting down the operation to protect itself.  And mine has an upgraded heat sink installed for long video shots.  So why risk the camera, that costs you so much, when there’s a relatively cheap external card reader available?

markphoto
Contributor

As I said back in 2022, a $45 CF Express card reader works well and saves a lot of wear on the camera’s usb port.  I put the SD cards from my R6 into the notebook’s built in reader and, again, no problems.  Even with the external reader, there’s a lot of heat generated when reading large numbers of massive data files and I suspect that this is the problem. The camera is shutting down the operation to protect itself.  And mine has an upgraded heat sink installed for long video shots.  So why risk the camera, that costs you so much, when there’s a relatively cheap external card reader available?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements