cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Firmware Update & EOS Utility

7DSteve
Contributor

Good morning all.  I have a EOS 7D kit that was purchased in 2012 and has barely been used.  I'm now retired and want to learn more about the camera so I thought I'd start by updating the firmware.  Of course the latest update is from 2016 but I'll take it.  When I download the file there is no program etc. to open this update.  I understand I need the Canon EOS Utility program.  I have searched Canon's website and other places but unable to find this program.  Can anyone point me the right way or send a link for the EOS Utility program for Mac? Thanks in advance!!

12 REPLIES 12

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

You don’t need a program to install a firmware update.  Just download the firmware to your computer and then copy the firmware file to the root of your memory card.      Firmware Updates

Mike Sowsun

Thanks for your response.  I downloaded the update earlier then when I tried to unzip it or open it on my Mac I got an error message asking what program I want to use to do this?  The file was named "7D000206.FIR" Any thoughts on that message?  That's why I thought I need the EOS Utility.  I just downloaded it again and this time it says to connect an EOS camera.  Of course I can't find my cable so I guess I need to order one of those before I can proceed.  

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Mike is correct that a firmware update can be installed directly from the camera data card; EOSU is not required.

But there may be other reasons that you will want EOSU. Go to this website:

Support | DSLR | EOS 7D | Canon USA

Select the Windows 7 OS dropdown and you can download a digital image of the original CD of software that came with the camera. Then you can update as required from the same site.

Screenshot 2022-08-02 113733.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hello.  I need the Mac OS version.  I see an EOS Webcam Utility program but not just a basic EOS Utility.  Is this the same thing?  

No. Download the CD image and extract the software.

If you only want EOSU go to the 1D X Mark III support site and download EOSU 3.13.10 (do not download the latest version, only 3.13.10. It will install EOSU3 and EOSU2; EOSU2 is what supports your 7D.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for your response.  I downloaded the update earlier then when I tried to unzip it or open it on my Mac I got an error message asking what program I want to use to do this?  The file was named "7D000206.FIR" Any thoughts on that message?  That's why I thought I need the EOS Utility.  I apparently don't have anything to open this file with.  I just downloaded it again and this time it says to connect an EOS camera.  Of course I can't find my cable so I guess I need to order one of those before I can proceed.  

No. You can download 3.13.10 from the macOS Catalina dropdown here:

Support | DSLR | EOS-1D X Mark III | Canon USA

I do not know if EOSU2 is compatible with Monterey.

When you install the firmware update do not touch anything on the camera while the update is installing.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for your help.  I was able to get the update installed.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

You can install the firmware without a cable. 

Just take that  "7D000206.FIR" file and copy it to the root of your memory card. 
Then insert the card into the camera and go to the firmware menu. It will ask you if you want to upgrade the firmware when it sees the new firmware version on the card. 

2C909063-A178-4526-83D7-222E7B0DD0EB.jpeg

99AED33D-0C36-4E72-A71E-584E0AEC9E62.jpeg

Mike Sowsun
Announcements