cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Can't import 4k videos over 20 seconds to PC

MajaT
Apprentice

Camera: Canon 5D IV

Hello, I have recently started recording in 4K (4096x2160 - 29.97 fps - MOV) 

I noticed that I can't import it to my PC when the videos get longer, 20 sec videos work fine. But anything above that it just won't show up when I try to import it to Windows

They run fine on my camera, I can replay them etc. They just show up as "0 bytes" on my PC 

What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi MajaT,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with importing your 4K videos. Since they playback correctly on the camera itself that indicates the camera and memory card are working correctly. Typically if the file was getting corrupted when it was getting saved it wouldn't playback on the camera either.

Since this is happening when you try to import the videos that indicates there may be an issue with the import method you were using. We would recommend trying a different import method. So if you were using a card reader try importing directly from the camera or vice versa.

One import software to import directly from the camera one to try is our EOS Utility. If you need that software it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Software & Drivers button and the current version is EOS Utility 3.16.0 for Windows. Once that is installed open the software and you will see a black window with camera and computer icons in it. When you see that window connect the camera and computer with a USB cable and once the EOS Utility recognizes the camera it will automatically refresh to give you the import options. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi MajaT,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with importing your 4K videos. Since they playback correctly on the camera itself that indicates the camera and memory card are working correctly. Typically if the file was getting corrupted when it was getting saved it wouldn't playback on the camera either.

Since this is happening when you try to import the videos that indicates there may be an issue with the import method you were using. We would recommend trying a different import method. So if you were using a card reader try importing directly from the camera or vice versa.

One import software to import directly from the camera one to try is our EOS Utility. If you need that software it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Software & Drivers button and the current version is EOS Utility 3.16.0 for Windows. Once that is installed open the software and you will see a black window with camera and computer icons in it. When you see that window connect the camera and computer with a USB cable and once the EOS Utility recognizes the camera it will automatically refresh to give you the import options. 

You are an angel! Thank you so much, that worked perfectly! 

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Movie file sizes on the 5D IV can get very large.  I wonder if this is a case where the longer videos are larger than 2 GB (or 4 GB).  What specific OS are you using on your Windows PC?  And do you know the format of the drive on your PC you're attempting to copy the movies to?  FAT32? exFAT?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements