cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4.12.20 constant freezing

MerlijnD
Contributor

Hi People,

Couple months back I built my dad a new pc. Reinstalled everything and gave him the latest version of dpp.

Now there is major issue, whenever he browses through his photo's the program freezes constantly (not responding) for 10-20 seconds. I've already tried disabling accelerators in the options, noise reduction etc...

Now today I found out whenever I use windows explorer to open a file or something else I can force hang DPP.  It works 8/10 times for me.

Steps:

Open photo in dpp

Minimize foto in dpp

Open windows explorer -> open random file

Switch back to dpp -> its now stuck for me for 20 seconds or unless I force close windows explorer (windows explorer also becomes unresponsive)

When I close windows explorer it unhangs dpp

Now thats the way to force it but it also just hangs randomly every day whenever my dad unfocuses and refocuses the dpp window or just does other stuff in the program.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Camera used is 5d mk3 and 7D. On Windows 10 latest updates as of 8-5-2020

Greetings,

Merlijn 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MerlijnD
Contributor

Hello people,

After trying lots of things we have finally fixed it. Disconnecting our NAS smb share in windows explorer fixed all the slowness issue.

Greetings,

Merlijn

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The current version is 4.12.20.3, not sure if the .3 version may have addressed the bug that you are seeing.

I am not seeing that behavior (Win 10 Pro 64, HP Z820 workstation).

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Also not seeing that problem with W10 Home Dell XPS 8910 machine. DPP 4.12.20.3 as well.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@MerlijnD

Greetings,

Just uninstalled everything Canon

DPP, EOS Utility(2, 3, Registration Tool, etc), Pic Style Ed.

Then performed fresh install of...

DPP 4.12.20

EOS 3.12.0

Pic Style Ed 1.24.10

I performed your steps to reproduce the behavior.  Everything worked for me too.  Sorry Man Sad

Software Tested on my own build:

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W10 1909

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

MerlijnD
Contributor

Hi People,

Appreciate your support. Although maybe I worded myself wrong; I understand that it is not a global issue nor am I reporting a bug. I am more interested in people having a similair problem in the past and their fix for it. 

I bet its somehow related to a blocked IO transaction or the program waiting for something to be free in the background (because windows explorer also hangs).

This is on a ryzen 3600x, gtx 1650 and 32gb of ddr4 3200 14-14-14 timings.

@MerlijnD wrote:

Hi People,

Appreciate your support. Although maybe I worded myself wrong; I understand that it is not a global issue nor am I reporting a bug. I am more interested in people having a similair problem in the past and their fix for it. 

I bet its somehow related to a blocked IO transaction or the program waiting for something to be free in the background (because windows explorer also hangs).

This is on a ryzen 3600x, gtx 1650 and 32gb of ddr4 3200 14-14-14 timings.

If you read the hardware requirements for Canon software, it specifically calls for an Intel Core CPU chipset, and NVidia graphics cards.  For whatever reason, people running AMD boards seem to have an over abundance of quirky issues.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Eh, thats very weird. Spec sheet also seems 10+ years old from the models listed. Furthermore; as Intel has no good offerings at the time of building the pc it was the first choice to use the 3600x, note; a friend of my dad has nearly the same specs only a 3700x and has no problems.

I will investigate some more and report back if i find anything.

Peter
Authority
Authority

@MerlijnD wrote:

Hi People,

Couple months back I built my dad a new pc. Reinstalled everything and gave him the latest version of dpp.

Now there is major issue, whenever he browses through his photo's the program freezes constantly (not responding) for 10-20 seconds. I've already tried disabling accelerators in the options, noise reduction etc...

Now today I found out whenever I use windows explorer to open a file or something else I can force hang DPP.  It works 8/10 times for me.

Steps:

Open photo in dpp

Minimize foto in dpp

Open windows explorer -> open random file

Switch back to dpp -> its now stuck for me for 20 seconds or unless I force close windows explorer (windows explorer also becomes unresponsive)

When I close windows explorer it unhangs dpp

Now thats the way to force it but it also just hangs randomly every day whenever my dad unfocuses and refocuses the dpp window or just does other stuff in the program.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Camera used is 5d mk3 and 7D. On Windows 10 latest updates as of 8-5-2020

Greetings,

Merlijn 

Have you tried this?

Hi Stephen, will try it tomorrow and let you know!

Not sure if deleting files will help since your behavior is different from the one described in the other topic. "Won't start" vs. "Freezing"  You can always save the folder elsewhere for testing.

@MerlijnD.  Your GTX1650.  What brand?  What drivers are you using?  Have you tried an earlier or later version of your video drivers?  Are your chipset drivers up to date?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements