cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 won't open on Windows 10

whyfret
Contributor

I have installed this program on my new laptop and it will not open. I have been on the phone with a Canon rep and he was unable to help me. The program picture will pop up breifly (black box identifying the name of the program) but then closes. I use Windows 10. I have deleted all antiviral programs. I can open it on my old laptop. Any ideas of what the problem may be?

16 REPLIES 16

whyfret
Contributor

Well a giant hug and thank you for all the time and energy you have so generously given me. I was hoping to avoid taking it to a computer repair store but it looks like that is what it may take.
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I was wondering if you would share your address so I can send a small gesture of thanks your way.
My email is <removed personal information per forum guidelines>

Greetings,

No gesture is necessary .  We're all here to help each other.  

You actually accomplished quite a bit.  Based on the number of errors in your event viewer, I think its safe to say that a driver, software or application DPP depends on is faulty, missing or corrupt. This is likely why it won't run. 

Did you ever review one of the Application error entries in the Event Viewer to determne if it provided insight or cause for the DPP failure?  When you open that list, double click on the line item and review the details.  

I don't think a visit to a repair shop is needed as I believe the problem is related to software and can likely be figured out.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I know that many folks do not recommend or feel that registry cleaners are necessary, but I had a problem with DPP functioning (not the same as you are describing) and when I used the free CCleaner app to clean my registry the problem went away.

It also resolved a problem I had with updating the Nik Collection.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Log Name: Application Source: .NET Runtime Date: 11/25/2021 5:09:32 PM Event ID: 1026 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: LAPTOP-OLQD74NO Description: Application: Dpp4Main.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException at Canon.Dpp.Dsf.Folder.DSFFolderTreeManager.GetFileDisplayName(System.String) at Canon.Dpp.Dsf.Folder.DSFFolderTreeManager.CreateFolderList() at Canon.Dpp.Dsf.Folder.DSFFolderTreeManager.Initialize() at Canon.Dpp.App.Model.DAPDppServiceFramework.Initialize() at Canon.Dpp.App.Controller.DAPController.Initialize() at Canon.Dpp.App.View.DAPMainWindow..ctor() at Canon.Dpp.App.View.DAPMainWindow.get_Instance() at Canon.Dpp.App.App.DAPProgram.Main() Event Xml: 1026 0 2 0 0 0x80000000000000 13058 Application LAPTOP-OLQD74NO Application: Dpp4Main.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException at Canon.Dpp.Dsf.Folder.DSFFolderTreeManager.GetFileDisplayName(System.String) at Canon.Dpp.Dsf.Folder.DSFFolderTreeManager.CreateFolderList() at Canon.Dpp.Dsf.Folder.DSFFolderTreeManager.Initialize() at Canon.Dpp.App.Model.DAPDppServiceFramework.Initialize() at Canon.Dpp.App.Controller.DAPController.Initialize() at Canon.Dpp.App.View.DAPMainWindow..ctor() at Canon.Dpp.App.View.DAPMainWindow.get_Instance() at Canon.Dpp.App.App.DAPProgram.Main()

whyfret
Contributor
I tried this an unfortunately it did not work. Thanks for trying to help me out

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Give Canon a call at 1-800-CANON
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

whyfret
Contributor