cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 won't open on Windows 10

whyfret
Contributor

I have installed this program on my new laptop and it will not open. I have been on the phone with a Canon rep and he was unable to help me. The program picture will pop up breifly (black box identifying the name of the program) but then closes. I use Windows 10. I have deleted all antiviral programs. I can open it on my old laptop. Any ideas of what the problem may be?

16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We will need more information to try and assist.

Please provide your laptops hardware specs?

Windows 10 - Feature and build # is?

Is your user an administrator?

What version of DPP did you install?  (4.15.20 is current as of this post)

Open the System Event Viewer, review sections "Applications" and "System"

See if any infomation about the program (correlates) to when the software fails to open or run.  

We will await your reply.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

whyfret
Contributor
Thank you for your response.. please understand my technical skills are limited. I do not know where to locate the system event viewer. There is a program called Tram Reviewer where I can send you permission to access my computer for a 1 x only event. Is this something you would consider?

whyfret
Contributor
Windows 10 Pro 21H1 OS build 19043.1348
DDP 4.15.20
I would guess I am the administrator

whyfret
Contributor
Ok. I found the event viewer. I see where a it lists the problem with the application. Do not under it though. I have Uninstaller and reinstalled with Canon tech rep and it still did not work

Greetings,

Good progress.

Is your system intel or AMD based - CPU / Processor?

If your account is the only one that exists on the machine., it would have admin level permissions by default.

Error listed / Event Viewer.  If you double click on the entry, a window will open with the copy option.  

Now paste that for us to review.

Team Viewer is a remote control / access software which can be iused for remote support.  I don't think this will be neccessary.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Intel , CPU 16 GB 64 bit x64 processorCapture.PNG

Greetings,

You are very close.  

Double click on one of the Application error entries.  That will open the dialog I was referecing above.  Does it indicate a problem with DPP?  Confirm that for me.

Next step.

Start menu type cmd

This time however, select Run As Administrator

Run.png

At the prompt type >sfc /scannow

(note there is a space between sfc and the forward slash)

Press enter

Let this run.  It should complete in under 3 min.

Let me know the result.

"Windows did not detect any integrity violations"

"Windows found corrupt files and repaired them successfully"

or

Windows found corrupt files and could not repair them" 

If corrupt files were found and repaired succesfully, close the command prompt window.  Restart your system and test opening DPP for me.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Capture.PNG3.PNG

whyfret
Contributor
UGH!!!! No it didn't open
Announcements