cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP "Cannot start RAW movie tool" on R5 CRM

fullest_rasps
Contributor

I want to open a Canon RAW video from EOS R5 in Digital Photo Professional 4 but I'm getting a "Cannot start RAW movie tool. Check the operating environment." error message.

I'm running DPP 4.17.30 on macOS Ventura 13.4.1 on a 16gig M1 Mac Mini, but I am getting this message on an (admittedly underpowered) Windows 10 HP i3 8gig laptop as well.

Another thread referenced environment requirements, but it would be good to know what specs does my machine fail in actuality, and if RAW movie tool is supported on Apple Silicon at all.

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 22.16.46.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My M2 Max 16" MacBook Pro with 32 GB gives the same error.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Digital Photo Professional is not compatible with Video files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Digital Photo Professional is not compatible with Video files.

It is compatible. It can play and screen grab from video files recorded with Canon digital cameras and can edit RAW video files recoded with Canon digital cameras.

"

Movie Playback and Frame-Grabbing

You can use DPP to play MOV or MP4 movies from compatible cameras and grab frames from the movies to save as JPEGs or TIFFs.

[Movie file playback] must be set to [Play with Digital Photo Professional 4] on the [General settings] tab of [Preferences].

Note that MOV and MP4 movie editing is not supported in DPP. For details on playing and editing RAW movies and saving still photos, see RAW Movie Playback, Editing, and Frame-Grabbing."

"

RAW Movie Playback, Editing, and Frame-Grabbing

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

It has always given me the same error.  

[EDIT]. I just noticed the caveat, “compatible cameras”.  Which cameras?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

rs-eos
Elite

8 or 16 GB of RAM for video editing; especially for 4K or 8K RAW video does seem very underpowered.

And on Apple Silicon, remember that memory is now shared between CPU and GPU cores.  So if you say previously had a 16 GB Intel Mac with 8 GB graphics card, you'll now have less resources to use on the 16 GB Apple Silicon Mac.

While you don't necessarily need something like an Apple M2 Ultra Mac Studio with 192 GB RAM, having more RAM above 16 GB will be very beneficial.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

fullest_rasps
Contributor

Let me rephrase my question:

• is RAW movie tool supported on Apple Sillicon?
  • what are the specific requirements to run RAW movie tool on an Apple Sillicon Mac at all? (not recommended requirements)

Sure it would be better to have more RAM, but both Apple Compressor and Canon Cinema RAW Development work with Canon RAW files and 16GB of RAM just fine.

@fullest_rasps wrote:

Let me rephrase my question:

• is RAW movie tool supported on Apple Sillicon?
  • what are the specific requirements to run RAW movie tool on an Apple Sillicon Mac at all? (not recommended requirements)

Sure it would be better to have more RAM, but both Apple Compressor and Canon Cinema RAW Development work with Canon RAW files and 16GB of RAM just fine.

I don't use my 1D X Mark III for video, but I did run a test for you.

I recoded a short (about 11 seconds) RAW movie. With my w10 PC I am able to open the file in both DPP4 and Canon CRD. 32GB i7-6700 processor and Nvidia 1050ti w/4GB RAM.

The tool gives me the same error you get in DPP4 on my M2 MacBook Air w/16GB RAM. Cinema RAW development on the MacBook gives the ironic error "Cinema RAW Development cannot open files in the "Canon RAW Movie" format."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John, thank you for your efforts. Perhaps it's good (?) to know that this issue is not isolated to my machine.

Whether a 32 gig Apple Silicon Mac would run RAW Movie Tool is still a mystery though.

My M2 Max 16" MacBook Pro with 32 GB gives the same error.

The notes for DPP 4.18 do not state that Apple Silicon is supported for Raw Movie Tool and the Windows environment is very high end. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements