cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP Lost GPS data

HAEI
Contributor

I have a canon 5 DSR and take raw pictures. In the raw info I find GPS coordinates.

When I use the HDR tool in the DPP software, the created JEPG file dont contain GPS data. Why does this happen, and I find no settings to prevent it to happen!

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am taking a wild guess here, but maybe it is because the multiple picture files used to create an HDR photo, would contain multiple sets of GPS coordinates and DPP wouldn't know which coordinates should be applied to the final photo file.

HAEI
Contributor

I am doing one and one picture with the HDR tool, i never get GPS data in the exif file of those, but they are always in the raw file data. So the HDR tool actually deletes the GPS data, and I dont know why Canon would do such a thing, and there is no setting to add GPS before you use the HDT tool. Frustrating!

@HAEI wrote:

I am doing one and one picture with the HDR tool, i never get GPS data in the exif file of those, but they are always in the raw file data. So the HDR tool actually deletes the GPS data, and I dont know why Canon would do such a thing, and there is no setting to add GPS before you use the HDT tool. Frustrating!

I do not know why they do not write GPS data, either.  Does it discard the copyright info?

I do not know what you cannot simply add it to the EXIF yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am 78 year old, think about the time I would spend if I were to edit GPS data into existing EXIF files for 50 000 pictures? I think Canon should transfer all exif data from the CR2 file to the HDR EXIF file, the data need just to be copied. I see no problem with the different times as long as the files have the same name like 0Q4A9848.CR2

You have 50000 HDR files?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

No, it is a mix of CR2 and HDR. In the beginning I deleted the CR2 files (thereby loosing GPS data). Now I keep both files, since I bought the 5Dsr camera, each picture takes about 60 Mb for CR2 files and up to 25 MB for HDR files. For the same picture I am using 85 Mb. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@HAEI wrote:

I have a canon 5 DSR and take raw pictures. In the raw info I find GPS coordinates.

When I use the HDR tool in the DPP software, the created JEPG file dont contain GPS data. Why does this happen, and I find no settings to prevent it to happen!

According to the DPP4 manual no image data is recorded to the HDR image. 

IMG_1751.png
I'm thinking the reason is that since each of the three images would have different time stamps, different exposure settings and maybe different in camera settings the software would not know which to use and thus writes no info to the EXIF fields. Does any data show when you read the EXIF file?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

You are right that very little info is kept in the HDR file, i did not know this was stated in the manual.

When I convert the raw file to JPG, using the converting process in DPP4, the EXIF file is the same as the CR2 file. I don't thing the time being different from the CR2 file is a problem. With no info in the HDR exif file i will have to create a separate file for the HDR file to know where it is taken, or I will have to save both the CR2 and the HDR file. Sometimes you want to use apps that puts your photoes on a map. GPS data in the HDR file would be much better than uploading the large CR2 file, that might even be refused. So my take on this is that canon has made a bad solution when we use DPP4 to create HDR files. Since the CR2 have all the date in the EXIF file, I should be the one to decide to have it in the HDR file also!

I forgot to add that I have about 50000 photos. It's beginning to be a storage problem, so if Canon can let there be two choices for what info goes into the EXIF file of a HDR photo, one as is now and second all that is in the CR2 EXIF file. That should be very simple to accomplish.

Announcements