cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP: Is there any other way to get focus points?

mangurian
Rising Star

I am through with DPP.  I have a very fast PC with two 2TB SSD and a modern GPU.  I have tried all the posted cures to make DPP usable.  Canon should be ashamed to have this POS as their "go to" app.  I am now using Photolab as my RAW processor.  What I miss is finding the focus points used for my images.  Is there any other app besides DPP that shows those points?

Thanks

p.s.  Is there any way to get a very very old version of DPP.  Maybe years ago it was a simpler app that might run more smoothly.

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

DPP will display the same active AF points that your camera can.  The key word here being active. 

If the AF system is not active when the shutter was fired, then no active AF points will be displayed, even though the lens is focused. 

Using BBF can create this scenario. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What does that have to do with my question?  I am asking if there is another app.

Everything. If you don’t have any active AF points, then there is no data to display. 

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

There is a third party plug in for Adobe Lightroom that will show focus points but I haven't tried it lately since DPP is working fine for me.  Sorry your hardware setup and DPP won't play well together.

Google "show focus points for lightroom" and the Adobe external plug-in will show up, not sure if there is something similar for Photolab.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

That tool will only show which AF points are enabled or disabled if the AF system was idle ( not pressing BBF ) when the shutter was fired.  Canon chooses not to display anything under this scenario, an idle AF system. 

Waddizzle,

Only YOU are into this issue of BBF and focus points on this thread and that was NOT the original posters question.  The original poster can see the points in DPP which means he was NOT using BBF with the button released before capture, he just wants to be able to see the AF points in another program besides DPP. 

DPP won't show the points under these conditions either because the camera correctly shows that there was no active focus point at the point of capture, no different than using manual focus.  But hopefully if you are using BBF under those conditions, you knew where you were focusing.

Personally I like DPP and it works well for me but if it didn't then I would also want to be able to see the actual AF points used in another program so I fully understand his concern.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

And for clarity the OP also asked:

"p.s.  Is there any way to get a very very old version of DPP.  Maybe years ago it was a simpler app that might run more smoothly."

Which is the reason for my post, older version was also request which can be found using the link.

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

March411
Rising Star

This link may assist but you will need to change the camera model (Select your product) to see the different versions of DPP.

Download DPP 

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@mangurian wrote:

I am through with DPP.  I have a very fast PC with two 2TB SSD and a modern GPU.  I have tried all the posted cures to make DPP usable.  Canon should be ashamed to have this POS as their "go to" app.  I am now using Photolab as my RAW processor.  What I miss is finding the focus points used for my images.  Is there any other app besides DPP that shows those points?

Thanks

p.s.  Is there any way to get a very very old version of DPP.  Maybe years ago it was a simpler app that might run more smoothly.

What CPU do you have and what GPU? What OS?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements