cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP Crashing on Open

jseyfert3
Contributor

I installed DPP 4.16.10, but it crashes every time it opens. It opens briefly, I see the window, and a few seconds later it closes. Same with DPP 4.15.20 which I also tried as 16.10 crashes. Running Windows 10 64-bit, version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.

Windows Event Viewer lists a crash of .NET, followed by a crash of DPP, followed by an information post with some more details contained in a Windows error reporting file.

I don't have that folder that some people say to delete. I've tried running in compatibility modes for Windows 8 and Windows XP SP3 with no success. Anything else I can try?

.NET Runtime error:

Application: Dpp4Main.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFF08BF6732
Stack

Application Error:

Faulting application name: Dpp4Main.exe, version: 4.16.10.0, time stamp: 0x6214564c
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1806, time stamp: 0x1000a5b9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a6732
Faulting process id: 0x2fb4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b29446e87ff3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional 4\Dpp4Main.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: cc991004-10a4-4a6a-9d24-dd43a21defc4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've figured it out! In my Pictures folder, there were folders plus a few random photos. By moving folders and pictures back in in groups, and if a group failed, taking out half that group, I narrowed it down to these two photos. These are OOTC JPGs from my Canon RP, except I used some program (probably GIMP) to crop them, then saved as I often due to edits with the original IMG name followed by "cropped". One of them is labeled "cropped 2" but it's just a copy of the first, so I don't know why I have it.

jseyfert3_1-1666830086703.png

I have NO idea why a simple cropped JPG would cause DPP to crash on startup, but that's what my issue was! I tried renaming the photo, removing IMG and naming it test, no luck. Still crashes DPP if it's in the folder DPP is looking at.

Doesn't matter WHERE the photos are either. I left the photos in the temp folder in my Documents folder, started DPP, navigated within DPP to the folder containing the two pictures, and it immediately crashed. So there's something specific to these particular images that DPP just does not like. They open fine in GIMP, IrfanView, Photos, Paint, Paint 3D, and Snip and Sketch. So it's not like they are corrupted files. DPP just hates them for some reason.

If anyone is super curious, I can put the actual file into my Google drive and link it here for downloading if you want to see if it crashes your copy of DPP.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

I've figured it out! In my Pictures folder, there were folders plus a few random photos. By moving folders and pictures back in in groups, and if a group failed, taking out half that group, I narrowed it down to these two photos. These are OOTC JPGs from my Canon RP, except I used some program (probably GIMP) to crop them, then saved as I often due to edits with the original IMG name followed by "cropped". One of them is labeled "cropped 2" but it's just a copy of the first, so I don't know why I have it.

jseyfert3_1-1666830086703.png

I have NO idea why a simple cropped JPG would cause DPP to crash on startup, but that's what my issue was! I tried renaming the photo, removing IMG and naming it test, no luck. Still crashes DPP if it's in the folder DPP is looking at.

Doesn't matter WHERE the photos are either. I left the photos in the temp folder in my Documents folder, started DPP, navigated within DPP to the folder containing the two pictures, and it immediately crashed. So there's something specific to these particular images that DPP just does not like. They open fine in GIMP, IrfanView, Photos, Paint, Paint 3D, and Snip and Sketch. So it's not like they are corrupted files. DPP just hates them for some reason.

If anyone is super curious, I can put the actual file into my Google drive and link it here for downloading if you want to see if it crashes your copy of DPP.

Congratulations, on finding a resolution, and thanks for posting about it.

Over time, we have seen many posts about DPP crashing on start up.  DPP does not maintain a separate “catalog” file of files that it should look at and edit.  You do not have to add files.  When it starts, DPP browses its startup folder looking for media that it can edit.

I have noticed that far more times than not that the app crashes on startup because DPP finds something during that startup folder scan that it cannot digest.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You're welcome. Nothing worse than having an issue, searching the internet for solutions, and seeing a thread that has your problem with no solution identified. So I always try to wrap up any threads I start, one way or another.

I tried to find a way to set the startup folder for DPP in a config file. I did find a config file, and there was some sort of startup path section that was blank. When I tried editing that file to a different folder that Pictures, DPP just deleted that config file when I started it. Oddly, it never made a new config file either. However, it didn't change DPP crashing, and once I removed all photos from Pictures and DPP started, I could use DPP's settings to change the startup folder and that did successfully change the startup folder DPP looks at. So I'm not sure where they are storing the information on which folder to look at at startup. Doesn't appear to be in Program Files.

"I tried to find a way to set the startup folder for DPP in a config file. "

Set it in Preferences.

Screenshot 2022-10-27 090441.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

"I tried to find a way to set the startup folder for DPP in a config file. "

Set it in Preferences.

Screenshot 2022-10-27 090441.jpg

Yes, that is the spot.  But, if DPP is crashing on startup, then you will never get this far.  I think DPP3 used the default startup for Windows Media Player as its initial default folder.  

I think I changed the setting in WMP, and it was reflected in DPP.  I think there is a flag somewhere that waits to see if you change that setting in DPP.  Otherwise, it Initially uses whatever WMP is set to use.  Once you change it in DPP, then that flag is cleared(?).   This is just an observation of DPP3.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, exactly. I was able to set it there once DPP no longer crashed on startup after removing the pictures from my Pictures folder, but not initially due to the crashing.

I've never even configured WMP on this computer. I saw your comment on that yesterday, and went to launch WMP to try that, but it brought up the first run configuration screen, which means I've never used it. This makes sense, as I usually use VLC, and before/besides that Movies and TV is the default media player in Windows 10, not WMP. So at that point I just moved everything in Pictures into a different folder and DPP launched, and continued troubleshooting that way.

Even though DPP claims to be able to edit TIFF and JPEG files, as well as Canon RAW files, a number of folks have reported similar problems here and on DPReview.

All of the problems ultimately were identified to files that were edited in other apps.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Odd. Yeah I found no other issues with other files, including one photo that was a .webp, probably because DPP just ignores .webp files and doesn't try to open them.

Well, at least now I know what to look for if DPP crashes. I'll probably avoid putting random pictures in my Pictures folder that DPP is set to look at when I launch it, as "bad" pictures don't crash DPP when located in a sub-folder unless you navigate to that sub-folder. That way, if I get a "bad" picture it won't just crash on launch and it'll be very obvious what sub-folder contains the "bad" picture so I can narrow that down and remove to avoid the issue.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements