cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP Crashing on Open

jseyfert3
Contributor

I installed DPP 4.16.10, but it crashes every time it opens. It opens briefly, I see the window, and a few seconds later it closes. Same with DPP 4.15.20 which I also tried as 16.10 crashes. Running Windows 10 64-bit, version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.

Windows Event Viewer lists a crash of .NET, followed by a crash of DPP, followed by an information post with some more details contained in a Windows error reporting file.

I don't have that folder that some people say to delete. I've tried running in compatibility modes for Windows 8 and Windows XP SP3 with no success. Anything else I can try?

.NET Runtime error:

Application: Dpp4Main.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFF08BF6732
Stack

Application Error:

Faulting application name: Dpp4Main.exe, version: 4.16.10.0, time stamp: 0x6214564c
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1806, time stamp: 0x1000a5b9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a6732
Faulting process id: 0x2fb4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b29446e87ff3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional 4\Dpp4Main.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: cc991004-10a4-4a6a-9d24-dd43a21defc4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've figured it out! In my Pictures folder, there were folders plus a few random photos. By moving folders and pictures back in in groups, and if a group failed, taking out half that group, I narrowed it down to these two photos. These are OOTC JPGs from my Canon RP, except I used some program (probably GIMP) to crop them, then saved as I often due to edits with the original IMG name followed by "cropped". One of them is labeled "cropped 2" but it's just a copy of the first, so I don't know why I have it.

jseyfert3_1-1666830086703.png

I have NO idea why a simple cropped JPG would cause DPP to crash on startup, but that's what my issue was! I tried renaming the photo, removing IMG and naming it test, no luck. Still crashes DPP if it's in the folder DPP is looking at.

Doesn't matter WHERE the photos are either. I left the photos in the temp folder in my Documents folder, started DPP, navigated within DPP to the folder containing the two pictures, and it immediately crashed. So there's something specific to these particular images that DPP just does not like. They open fine in GIMP, IrfanView, Photos, Paint, Paint 3D, and Snip and Sketch. So it's not like they are corrupted files. DPP just hates them for some reason.

If anyone is super curious, I can put the actual file into my Google drive and link it here for downloading if you want to see if it crashes your copy of DPP.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

John,

Indeed.  I just installed DPP 4.16.10 about a week ago.  I looked at over 700 .cr3 files.  Not one hiccup. 

With 2 of you posting regarding DPP v4.16.10. but both having different hardware, it's hard for us to provide specific info about either issue.  Similar behavior related to your software/hardware environments.

Run  sfc /scannow from a elevated command prompt

Ensure your systems are fully patched (Windows Update) and that you are not missing any updates / feature updates etc.

Update your video drivers.  Onboard or dedicated graphics, visit Intel or AMD's websites and ensure you have the latest driver available for your GPU.  DPP seems to work better with intel-based systems.  Its possible to run AMD based boards but these have occasional compatibility issues.  Hopefully one or more of these suggestions will allow you to view .cr3 files without problems.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

John,

Indeed.  I just installed DPP 4.16.10 about a week ago.  I looked at over 700 .cr3 files.  Not one hiccup. 

With 2 of you posting regarding DPP v4.16.10. but both having different hardware, it's hard for us to provide specific info about either issue.  Similar behavior related to your software/hardware environments.

Run  sfc /scannow from a elevated command prompt

Ensure your systems are fully patched (Windows Update) and that you are not missing any updates / feature updates etc.

Update your video drivers.  Onboard or dedicated graphics, visit Intel or AMD's websites and ensure you have the latest driver available for your GPU.  DPP seems to work better with intel-based systems.  Its possible to run AMD based boards but these have occasional compatibility issues.  Hopefully one or more of these suggestions will allow you to view .cr3 files without problems.  

Also CPU/RAM minimum requirements:

Screenshot 2022-10-18 103212.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

John,
Thanks for your input. Although my system is not the most recent, it should meet minimum requirements for EOS RP .CR3 images:
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM: 6.00 GB
The system has been freshly set up - clean install with all updates.
I can run DPP ver. 4.12.60.0 on my ancient Lenovo Notebook and process my CR3 files. But because that is really really (really!) slow, I wanted to set up a more powerful PC at my holiday location ...

I’ll try this when I’m home tonight. I have an odd system, as I am running a older computer that was sold as a server. So it’s got an Intel Xeon CPU, which I’m guessing DPP was probably not tested much, if ever, with.

I have dedicated graphics, an Nvidea GTX-760 Ti. Drivers will be up to date as I installed the Nvidea drivers originally and it’s such an old card none of the drivers for it will be updated anymore. 

Guess I'm not following.  Your post above states you are running on a AMD based system.  One we indicated might have compatibility issues.  Then above you stated your system was intel based with a Xenon CPU?  Can't comment about the 760Ti.  Its older now and I doubt as you said Nividia is developing anything for it.  At some point, it could be a cause for problems as system software architecture evolves.  Trying to run new software on older hardware can be frustrating. The 760 is technically EoL, no longer supported.

I run EVGA cards (nVidia based GPUs) exclusively.  Their performance, reliability and warranty is top notch in the industry.   

One of our other colleagues uses a HP Z240, a Xenon based system which runs DPP reliably.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

“Guess I'm not following.  Your post above states you are running on a AMD based system.  One we indicated might have compatibility issues.”

The AMD comment came from the individual who hijacked the thread.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

“Guess I'm not following.  Your post above states you are running on a AMD based system.  One we indicated might have compatibility issues.”

The AMD comment came from the individual who hijacked the thread.

My pre-coffee 6:04AM reply.  Thank you kind sir.  😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

@jseyfert3 wrote:

I’ll try this when I’m home tonight. I have an odd system, as I am running a older computer that was sold as a server. So it’s got an Intel Xeon CPU, which I’m guessing DPP was probably not tested much, if ever, with.

I have dedicated graphics, an Nvidea GTX-760 Ti. Drivers will be up to date as I installed the Nvidea drivers originally and it’s such an old card none of the drivers for it will be updated anymore. 

What OS are you currently running?  What OS was the server running?  

Servers are very different beasts.  They do not quite have the same BIOS as you would find in a conventional workstation, desktop, or laptop PC.  The single biggest difference between a server and the lesser platforms is how the recover from a complete loss of power.  Conventional PCs reboot from a cold start.  A server reboots back into the state it was in when it lost power.  Very different BIOS firmware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Windows 10 education edition 64-bit (I was just out of college and my college email got me a free license). When used as a server, it was running Windows Server.

BIOS isn't the only difference, and certainly the least visible. Power state after power loss is certainly not an option limited to server computers, as my last desktop, which was a consumer desktop, had adjustable BIOS settings for action taken after power loss (restore last state/stay off/power on). Biggest differences I note are lack of external power connectors for GPUs (had to use a Y-splitter to power my 2x6-pin GPU from the single 6 pin power connector, even though the power supplies themselves were plenty sufficient), fewer PCIe slots, lack of individual 3.5" HDD mounts (though it had space for two sets of 4 3.5" HDDs set up in a hot-swap RAID array, dual redundant power supplies, lack on onboard audio, a serial port (all but gone on any consumer computer), use of Xeon CPU, and complete lack of any sleep states (standby/hibernate). You get on, or you get off. Nothing in between, no power saving options either.

That said, I've had no issues running any of the other programs or games I run. Anything I've run on other computers, runs on this computer. But it's been a long time since I tried to run DPP, and never ran it much on my previous computer. I have heard of issues relating to certain programs and Xeon CPUs, but that seemed more related to the Xeon CPU instead of other server hardware.

jseyfert3
Contributor

Well, long overdue update. DPP would stay open for long enough I could see that it was looking at the Pictures folder on my computer, which is where all my pictures are. Temporarily, I created a new folder in Documents, then moved everything in Pictures over to Documents. Now with the Pictures folder empty, I launched DPP. And this time it did NOT crash.

So there's something in my Pictures folder that DPP does not like. I'll try moving things back into my pictures folder in sections and see what causes DPP to crash to figure out what exactly is causing it.

Alternatively, now that it's launched I can change the default folder on DPP to look at a different folder than Pictures.

Announcements