cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.6.10 Auto Gamma Adjust - Insufficient Memory

hdohlmann
Contributor

I have one image where selecting Auto under Gamma Adjust results in "Insufficient Memory" with a forced close.

It is only this one image I have experienced this issue out of 300+ images I have edited with this version of DPP.

Do you want me to upload the image somewhere?

dpp-auto gamma bug.PNG

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@hdohlmann wrote:

I have one image where selecting Auto under Gamma Adjust results in "Insufficient Memory" with a forced close.

It is only this one image I have experienced this issue out of 300+ images I have edited with this version of DPP.

Do you want me to upload the image somewhere?

dpp-auto gamma bug.PNG

What is your question?  It could be that you simply have one file, out of the thousands that you shot with that camera and particular memory card, that has been corrupted.  How old is your memory card, and when did you last perform a low level format on it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This was intended to be a bug report. But that is perhaps the wrong forum?

How can I dicover if my image is corrupt?

The Memory Card is only 1 year old and has not yet been low level formatted.

@hdohlmann wrote:

This was intended to be a bug report. But that is perhaps the wrong forum?

How can I dicover if my image is corrupt?

The Memory Card is only 1 year old and has not yet been low level formatted.

You should always perform a low level format on a new memory card.  Despite appearances to the contrary, memory cards are not pre-formatted.  Whatever formatting that is on a new card when you first remove it from its' packaging is nothing more than residue from production testing, which needs to be completely wiped.  

How can you tell if your image file is corrupt.  You may have already done so.  BTW, these forums might be sponsored by Canon, but the participants are all ordinary users, just like you.  There are a number of participants who are professionals, or retired professional photographers, too.  But, this is not the proper place to report issues, or seek repairs for your Canon gear.

Where, then, is the proper place to report issues, do you know?

The image loads, edits and exports fine in DPP 3.5. 

The image laods and displays fine in Windows native proto viewer and Picasa.

I am not convinced that it is corrupt.

Auto Gamma in DPP 4.9.20 now works on this image! Amazing 🙂

Glad that it is working for you now!

If using Windows it is a good idea to bring up task manager (ctrl alt del) occasionally which helps you check for misbehaving software.  I can't recall which version it was but at least one of the 4.x DPP releases had a serious memory leak and over time it would consume very large amounts of available memory and depending upon your computer configuration it would probably push it into using very slow "virtual" memory where some RAM contents are being swapped back and forth with a drive.  Mozilla released several versions of Firefox that had horrible memory management glitches and Foxit PDF reader was nearly as bad at times.

I just checked DPP 4.9.2 and it generally sits just under a 1 gig of memory utilization increasing to under 2 gigs during a more involved process before returning back to its static level so it seems very well behaved.  In normal operation of 4.9.2 I have never seen total machine memory usage go over 8% even with multiple other programs running and typically it is below 5%.  My only complaint with DPP in general is it doesn't seem to utilize the dual processor setup well because even during the few seconds of the spinning indicator while it is processing lens correction data and noise reduction changes I have never seen CPU load go over 25% so it seems it could be a little more responsive if it better utilized machine resources.  When using Corel Video Studio during rendering and other processor intensive applications all 16 CPU cores are running at near maximum loading.

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Glad that it is working for you now!

If using Windows it is a good idea to bring up task manager (ctrl alt del) occasionally which helps you check for misbehaving software.  I can't recall which version it was but at least one of the 4.x DPP releases had a serious memory leak and over time it would consume very large amounts of available memory and depending upon your computer configuration it would probably push it into using very slow "virtual" memory where some RAM contents are being swapped back and forth with a drive.  Mozilla released several versions of Firefox that had horrible memory management glitches and Foxit PDF reader was nearly as bad at times.

I just checked DPP 4.9.2 and it generally sits just under a 1 gig of memory utilization increasing to under 2 gigs during a more involved process before returning back to its static level so it seems very well behaved.  In normal operation of 4.9.2 I have never seen total machine memory usage go over 8% even with multiple other programs running and typically it is below 5%.  My only complaint with DPP in general is it doesn't seem to utilize the dual processor setup well because even during the few seconds of the spinning indicator while it is processing lens correction data and noise reduction changes I have never seen CPU load go over 25% so it seems it could be a little more responsive if it better utilized machine resources.  When using Corel Video Studio during rendering and other processor intensive applications all 16 CPU cores are running at near maximum loading.

Rodger 

I have a GPU usage column in Task Manager on my machine.  

And, I have never had the slow performance problems that others report, either.

I do not think there is anything really special about my Dell laptop.

It is a gaming laptop that I purchased when B&H put it on sale at a deep discount, for less than $1000.

Announcements