cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.15 Error message

DNG
Contributor

Hi

I have never used DPP, normally Lightroom and a little Photoshop. I have just tried my first focus stack that I took on my R5.

I selected my 15 images (JPEG 5000 x 5000) and clicked start depth compositing tool and got the following message:-

"Cannot start depth compositing tool.

Not available for that focused image."

I cannot find what that means and whart the problem is.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DNG wrote:

In the Lightroom settings when exporting the files.

Use the images straight from the camera. I don't think DPP will process images exported from another program.
If you need to edit them before the stack, shoot Raw (I suspect you already are), touchup in DPP, then run the stack. I suggest Raw because DPP is very limited as a jpg editor, IMO, but a decent Raw editor. You can edit the first image, then copy those edits (recipe) and batch paste to all images. If you shoot jpg and like them as is, just run them. They should look fine.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

@DNG wrote:

Hi

I have never used DPP, normally Lightroom and a little Photoshop. I have just tried my first focus stack that I took on my R5.

"I selected my 15 images (JPEG 5000 x 5000) and clicked start depth compositing tool"

How did you get them to be 5000 x 5000? In camera by setting Cropping/Aspect ratio or in LR/PS?

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@DNG wrote:

Use the images straight from the camera. I don't think DPP will process images exported from another program.
If you need to edit them before the stack, shoot Raw (I suspect you already are), touchup in DPP, then run the stack. I suggest Raw because DPP is very limited as a jpg editor, IMO, but a decent Raw editor. You can edit the first image, then copy those edits (recipe) and batch paste to all images. If you shoot jpg and like them as is, just run them. They should look fine.

That makes sense- many thanks.

You should have a leg up on most just starting to use DPP because you use LR. DPP isn't as robust, but you at least know your way around Raw editors, which most first time users of DPP don't. Be sure to d/l the manual.

Hi again,

What you suggested worked , however the depth compositing  (13 RAW files) started 12 hours ago and is still showing - Processing file.

The 2 green bars show 100% but the top of the window shows -Processing file. I have ticked the box at the bottom which states - Close dialog when finished. So although the progress bars state 100% the dialog box has not closed and still states -Processing file.

My PC is a bit like myself- ie getting on in years but hasnt struggled with anything like this before. Is it possible that it is still process the file or is it likley to be complete?

Regards

David

Not sure if it is related to what you are experiencing, but Canon has high spec recommendations for R5 cameras in DPP. 

9C143825-C22C-4620-A9AF-551FED9047C4.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John

Thank you for the reply. My PC complies with the Canon system requirements with the exception of my processor is an i5 and not i7 or later.

It states recommended i7 so I preume it- Processing file

Regards

Davidwill work with i5 just slower.

Now been36 hours and still shows

DNG
Contributor

Finally got it sorted.

Although the window stated that it was still processing, it wasnt , it was complete.

Tried it again and it only took a few mins.Below is the final image which consists of 13 RAW images Focus stacked in DPP, taken on an R5- my first focus stacked image. I am quite plesed with it but would have done a few things different as I did not have time as I was on an organised walk with the Royal Photographic Society and there was a queue of photographers at the door waiting for me to finish

Again thaks to my friends over "The Pond" for your help.  

From Dubs Hut looking towars Lake Buttermere, The Lake District, England.

View from Dubs hut small file.jpg

Announcements